Buying a used MX121 anything I need to know?

dan87951

I recently purchased a set of Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamonds (D2) that are currently being powered by a McIntosh MC402. I'm in desperate need of a new SSP and was thinking of a MX121. Would a MX121 make a good dual purpose music/movies SSP? Is it true the MX121 is very similar to the AV7005? Does the MX121 have tone controls (bass/treble)? I'm finding that the majority of these newer SSP's no longer have tone controls, which I hate. Any issues or updates I should be aware of? I'm looking for any feedback or words of wisdom you can provide.

Thanks!

I bought an MX-121 about a year ago as an upgrade from an MX-119. It has tone controls, however, you really need a video monitor running in order to access them. With a video monitor turned on, you press Menu->Audio Adjust->Tone Controls in order to access them. There has been one firmware update to the MX-121, but it was easy to install over the internet. The Phono section is pretty good (not as good as the older MX-119's). I don't do anything fancy with surround sound, the Dolby Surround works fine for broadcast Over-the-Air TV and the Dolby stuff works fine for all of the BluRay and DVD stuff that I have. The cool thing that I like about the MX-121 is that it has an Internet Radio built in which is pretty good and receives most stations that broadcast in MP3 or WMA. Don't pay any more than $2750 or so for it... Most folks on EBay and Audiogon want >$3000, but this unit just isn't modern enough to demand those prices and home theater controllers lose value very very quickly. There's one for sale brand new from a Mac dealer for $3000 being advertised right now.

As a guy who just watches Blu-Ray/DVD/3D discs through a 5 channel (no subwoofer) system, this unit does everything I need it to. It isn't exceptional by any means, but as a non-videophile, I'm very happy with it.

^^^ That's who I got mine from. Great guy to deal with, though I wouldn't be surprised that if you are patient you could pick up a used one for $2000.

Who is the guy that is selling the new ones? I don't like to purchase from people on audiogon or eBay. I prefer to pay a few hundred more and buy one from a reputable dealer.

I just searched the classifieds and couldn't find it. If you can send me the link of the new one it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I bought an MX-121 about a year ago as an upgrade from an MX-119. It has tone controls, however, you really need a video monitor running in order to access them. With a video monitor turned on, you press Menu->Audio Adjust->Tone Controls in order to access them. There has been one firmware update to the MX-121, but it was easy to install over the internet. The Phono section is pretty good (not as good as the older MX-119's). I don't do anything fancy with surround sound, the Dolby Surround works fine for broadcast Over-the-Air TV and the Dolby stuff works fine for all of the BluRay and DVD stuff that I have. The cool thing that I like about the MX-121 is that it has an Internet Radio built in which is pretty good and receives most stations that broadcast in MP3 or WMA. Don't pay any more than $2750 or so for it... Most folks on EBay and Audiogon want >$3000, but this unit just isn't modern enough to demand those prices and home theater controllers lose value very very quickly. There's one for sale brand new from a Mac dealer for $3000 being advertised right now.

As a guy who just watches Blu-Ray/DVD/3D discs through a 5 channel (no subwoofer) system, this unit does everything I need it to. It isn't exceptional by any means, but as a non-videophile, I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback! It was very helpful!

My brand new MX121 arrived today. Wow! Talk about a huge difference from my 13 year old SSP I was using. I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade. (ignore the mess, i'm still cleaning up after completely taking everything apart to install the new MX121)

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 79
I like mine so much that I listed my C2300 for sale last night. I only have one music input in that room now (a D100) so there's no point in keeping that beauty around.

I like mine so much that I listed my C2300 for sale last night. I only have one music input in that room now (a D100) so there's no point in keeping that beauty around.

I love my MX121. It sounds remarkable for 2 channel audio and movies. Even the on screen menu is intuitive. Too bad I don't have tomorrow off. ;)

The only thing that McIntosh was EXTREMELY stupid about with the MX-121 generation of home theater controllers was not allowing for the TM-2 tuner module (the tuner module that has the same "guts" as the superb MR-88 tuner). Most of their previous home theater preamps allowed for the optional TM-1 tuner module (which was fairly mediocre). The only preamp that accommodated the TM-2 was the MA-6600 integrated (stereo) amp -- thus, they probably didn't sell very many TM-2's.......

I bought an MR-88 (now discontinued by McIntosh) 1.5 years ago and its the best tuner that I've ever owned (I also own a Marantz 10B, Harmon-Kardon Citation IIIX, and Sequerra Model One) both sound-wise and reception-wise. Compressed Internet Radio is very nice, but well-produced FM radio is still beloved by audiophiles. The MR-88, when listening to a good FM station (I get WFMT and WQXR from Chicago and WAUS from Berrien Springs, MI) has the same "vacuum tube" sound quality that my Marantz 10B has without all the hassles.

The MA-6600/TM-2 that I heard at my local dealer sounds and receives just as wonderfully as the MR-88 does.

Not offering the TM-2 (there's plenty of real-estate inside the MX-121 and on the MX-121's motherboard) was a tremendous oversight and a lost opportunity to sell TM-2's....

Oh.... and I forgot another stupid omission by McIntosh that would have cost them NOTHING to include..... the lack of a "mono" setting which would have enhanced mono LP playback.... If you're going to bother to put in a phono section, put in a mono switch!

Last edited:
On the MX121, does it display the surround sound formats (DTS,DTS-Ma,DD,TrueHD,etc.) on the face of the unit when those formats are being played?

On the MX121, does it display the surround sound formats (DTS,DTS-Ma,DD,TrueHD,etc.) on the face of the unit when those formats are being played?
Yes.... The only thing that I don't like about the user interface is that you can't manually select "Dolby Digital" using the "Mode" knob. This is not really a shortcoming however. When the MX-121 senses a Dolby Digital signal on the optical or HDMI input, it automatically switches to "Dolby Digital" multichannel mode. "Dolby Digital" is used on TV over-the-air broadcasts and on old AC-3 Laser Discs.

Oh... another thing... If you have a turntable and want to play mono records, the MX-121 lacks a "Mono" mode. Mono mode is useful for significantly eliminating noise when playing back mono LP's. My phono preamp (the McIntosh MP-1100) has a Mono switch so it's not a bit deal for me (most of my listening is to LP's).

Audio classics has a pair, One was $3399, but they do deal and they warrant what they sell. I bought a MX 151 from them and its a great piece and they took my 119 as a trade in. It just blows a way my old MX 119 and 120. I appreciate the much more flexible and detailed set up programs. Theirs a clarity in the pure Stereo mode the previous units just didn't have. The Dacs inputs of the 151 are unrecognizable from the analog balanced outputs of my 861 and 891. You really do need a monitor to keep tack of whats happening unless you are very close to the built in display, and it doesn't give you the entire picture. So maybe a 12 " display near by with in arms reach.

Yes.... The only thing that I don't like about the user interface is that you can't manually select "Dolby Digital" using the "Mode" knob. This is not really a shortcoming however. When the MX-121 senses a Dolby Digital signal on the optical or HDMI input, it automatically switches to "Dolby Digital" multichannel mode. "Dolby Digital" is used on TV over-the-air broadcasts and on old AC-3 Laser Discs.

Oh... another thing... If you have a turntable and want to play mono records, the MX-121 lacks a "Mono" mode. Mono mode is useful for significantly eliminating noise when playing back mono LP's. My phono preamp (the McIntosh MP-1100) has a Mono switch so it's not a bit deal for me (most of my listening is to LP's).

You can't select DD as a sound option on any pre or receiver.

What I am curious about the MX121 is that it actually says Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio in the display window. I can't find any pictures showing that. All I've seen is pictures showing Dolby HD.

What I am curious about the MX121 is that it actually says Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio in the display window. I can't find any pictures showing that. All I've seen is pictures showing Dolby HD.

If you're feeding the audio source in through HDMI (and not the 7.1 analogue connections). It says DTS-HD MSTR for DTS Master and DLBY TRU-HD for the Dolby TrueHD. This was on my Sgt. Peppers Deluxe Edition BluRay disc being played on my MVP-891 through the HDMI inputs.

I usually play through the 7.1 analogue connection since the MVP 891's decoder is better than the MX121's...

How would anyone who owns the MX121 describe the overall sound?

I'm used to the sound from an EAD Ovation and it is very lush, almost liquid, if that could be an audio term. I have auditioned several other procs over the past decade and all have not sounded as good as the EAD. I did try a McIntosh C45 many years back and it was close. Input sources are pretty standard. One Blu-ray player, HD cable and multiple analog sources (TT,R2R,cassette), plus an Amazon Firestick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom