Buying Computer Speakers

Or a small amplifier with some Realistic Minimus 7's or 77's...

I have an Optimum SA-150 amp with Realistic Minimus 77's... The amp only has a tone control but my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card has both bass and treble controls.. So it works out pretty good and sounds great to me.. And inexpensive for the most part...

You also have extra inputs...

About a year ago I started looking for good computer speakers. Due to space constraints I looked at mainly 2.1 systems. I tried a number of computer speaker systems including the Klipsch 2.1 and for a while I settled on a Monsoon MM200 system that I bought off E-Bay. I found them to be very good for computer speakers though they had a few quirks. Then a friend introduced me to a pair of Swans M200 computer speakers and I was very impressed. To me, they sounded much better than any computer speaker that I've tried out. I actually ended up ordering the Swans T120 2.1 system, which I found to be the best computer-speakers for me. I got them from The Audio Insider. The speakers look spectacular. They have a nice piano lacquer finish and a 1/8th inch champagne colour aluminium plate. The Swans are built much better than any other computer-specific speaker that I've ever seen. I also prefer them over the Klipsches and the Monsoons for music. My friend's Swans M200 computer speakers sound very nice, are very well built. They remind me of the Sonus Faber Concertinos in the way they look. I find them quite elegant. The Swans T200a monitors are great also but much more expensive.

For under $100, I'd just get a pair of Grado SR60 or SR80 headphones and hook those babies to the computer. I used my Grado SR80s to listen to music off my computer long before I even started looking for good computer speakers. Unfortunately, my big ears can't withstand the Grados for more than a 1/2 hour. They sound awesome but get very uncomfortable after some time. I still use my Grados often when I must keep the noise level down.

The FPS flat panel speakers mentioned above look quite nice for a bit over $100. I'm glad that I dropped into this thread as those speakers would look nice in my bedroom. The Swans M200 system is currently selling for $175 USD at newegg.com. When my friend bought them, they were $299 USD. At that time, the T120 system that I bought was going for $300 USD too but I can't find any place that still sells them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom