Buying Husband a turtable.....

Another tip on the Ebay option--look at what other items the seller currently has for sale, and look at their feedback (not just the rating, but the individual feedback--it will show you a list of what items they have sold in the past). If they sell a lot of audio gear, and have sold a few TTs in the past, there is a much better chance that it will arrive intact. If this is their first and only TT sale, the odds are against you, unless you provide detailed packing instructions (as posted above).

Having owned an AR XA and a lot of different Thorens tables, I should point out that the XA lacks a cueing lever. I found that I needed a steady hand to cue up the arm. Also, the lack of hinges on the dust cover was a bit of a pain. The Thorens TD-150 and TD-160 share the virtues of the AR, but do not have these two minor irritants. It is also easier to change speeds with the Thorens, if that is a consideration. They are easier to find than AR tables as well. I think he would be happy with Thorens.

A turntable that I personally own, and enjoy, is a Sonographe SG-3. It's a sprung suspension table, like the AR. It was marketed by conrad johnson. SOTA bought the design, and still carries parts for it, including the belt. It does show up on eBay and Audiogon, though, none there now. A SOTA table would be another worthy candidate too.

Welcome and Good Luck.

SG-3

turntable_002.JPG

A turntable that I personally own, and enjoy, is a Sonographe SG-3. It's a sprung suspension table, like the AR. It was marketed by conrad johnson. SOTA bought the design, and still carries parts for it, including the belt. It does show up on eBay and Audiogon, though, none there now. A SOTA table would be another worthy candidate too.

Welcome and Good Luck.

SG-3

turntable_002.JPG

Yeah, nice table. Great brand, A Conrad-Johnson line, wasn't it. Do you know who built/designed the table? Any AR lineage involved maybe? That would be a very nice find, I think. If all else were equal, and I had to choose between my beloved TD-165 and this, I'd have to do some homework.

Yeah, nice table. Great brand, A Conrad-Johnson line, wasn't it. Do you know who built/designed the table? Any AR lineage involved maybe? That would be a very nice find, I think. If all else were equal, and I had to choose between my beloved TD-165 and this, I'd have to do some homework.

I once talked to Lew Johnson about the design of the SG-3, but he wouldn't divulge any info. Though, Lew did tell me he still used a Sonographe table, in a system at his vacation home.

Also, all the Sonographe gear was designed in house at conrad johnson. And I originally thought SOTA built the table for CJ. But, SOTA bought the design from CJ, and used it in the design of the Comet.

I'm a Thorens fan, too. I have also owned an ARXB, but liked the Thorens more. My model of choice was always the TD-165, but a TD-160 is even better. These are belt-drive tables with sub-chassis suspended on springs, thus similar in design to the AR. So if you like one, you will probably like the other. A good strategy may be to keep an eye out for both, and buy whatever/whichever you find in excellent condition.

IMO, the Thorens is the better table, having a better arm, headshell, and cuing device, and appears built better overall. The TD-165 that I love is completely manual.

Personally, if choosing an AR, I'd rather buy an AR EB101 table (built mid-80s) than either an XA or XB. It still has the right vintage look, but a bit better design, imo.

Well would you look at that, I had no idea an EB101 existed never heard of it...cool

Well would you look at that, I had no idea an EB101 existed never heard of it...cool

I was a cash-strapped baby-needs-new-shoes daddy when they debuted. Had boxes and boxes of them at Service Merchandise (for you who remember the chain) with one on display, but not for audition. I really wanted to buy one because they were a great deal for a really good table at the time.

I was a cash-strapped baby-needs-new-shoes daddy when they debuted. Had boxes and boxes of them at Service Merchandise (for you who remember the chain) with one on display, but not for audition. I really wanted to buy one because they were a great deal for a really good table at the time.
I remember Service Merchandise! Also Consumer Distributing! Fill out a little form and your stuff eventually comes out from the back on a conveyor belt...

Thanks again to all of you for the feedback. I am in the Phoenix area and not having much luck looking on Craigslist as of yet. My budget is up to $300 or $400. I will post pics of what we intend to run it with, in a couple of hours when I get home from work! Talk to you all again soon! :)

Thanks again to all of you for the feedback. I am in the Phoenix area and not having much luck looking on Craigslist as of yet. My budget is up to $300 or $400. I will post pics of what we intend to run it with, in a couple of hours when I get home from work! Talk to you all again soon! :)
Yeah, pickings are slim at the moment on out CL - short of the Technics SL-Q2. Western Audio in downtown Gilbert is worth a phone call.

Madam, let me first say how wonderful this is that you want to try and do this for your husband. If I could, I'd give you a big hug!

Now, that said...mayhaps the best thing for you to do is to say "Honey, I'd like to buy you a nice turntable for Christmas. I know you would rather a "vintage" table. What do you think we should be looking for...is there something that maybe we could find for $300-400?"

I know it takes the element of surprise out of it, but might help if you knew he would really like a piece that needs a little work, and then your job is easier.

All that said, my vote is to look for a nice, used Rega RP1...make sure it has the "white belt." I had one and loved it, its only trouble was that it was not semi-auto...only went to a Rega Planar P3 because I had a 3-year trade in thing...

Now, about that hug...;)

Postscript: I have a Dual 1009 (1969-viintage?)...always thought it was better than an ELAC Miracord...NOT...but I have it, so make the best of it. Nice table, operation a little excentric (being more familiar with the Miracord)...I mean, the table turns for 20 turns after it shuts off!

But an old Dual may need a lot of work, perhaps at least what you paid for it...not that it won't be nice afterwards...but maybe that is not what you (or your hubby) is looking for...

Example...Had Sirkku said to me, "Bill, I found an old Miracord 45. I know you were looking for one." To which I would say, "Where is it... is it running?" And we would go from there. Had similar conversation when she found an old Allied 395 stereo receiver...gawd, I love that Finn!

Last edited:
Nice rig in the photos! With that scheme, you can go either wood or silver plinth with no problem--either will fit right in--so that opens a lot more doors outside of the AR and Thorens lines that have been discussed. If you don't specifically need/want a suspended table, the flood gates are open--especially with a $300-400 budget. Personally, I'd immediately widen your search to include Pioneer and Technics tables on your list.

Back
Top Bottom