Buying a McIntosh 1500 Sept. 15 and need advice

Beeb

Hi, I'm buying a very nice looking (and sounding) McIntosh 15 tomorrow for $850. The seller has listed the following service as having been done to it in the past. He also sent a pic of the insides, which I'll include below, along with a pic of the outside (aside from the small ding in the upper left corner, it looks great). Any thoughts on whether $850 is a good deal? Also, on how much I might have to spend in other necessary restorations? If there are certain ones that I should ask about, please let me know and I'll run them by him tomorrow before completing the purchase. Thanks.

Here's what he said about service that's been completed.image.pngIMG_1338.JPGIMG_1338.JPG
1. "Part of the servicing included setting the bias for the tubes and replacing all the transistors on the preamp board."
2. "It's had all pots and switches cleaned and lubricated, all new power tubes, resistors replaced as needed, lamps upgraded to LED's."
3. "It has new tubes, but I'll include original McIntosh tubes in the deal if you decide later you'd like to install them."

Here are two photos, inside and outside.

I've seen them sold for much higher than that. And then there's the cabinet, those alone are now worth $150-200.
Considering the maintenance that's been performed, I'd say you did alright.

I'll be curious to see what other 1500 owners have to say about this. Congrats.

The combination volume control/power switch is a high failure item but can be replaced (expensive) if needed. Nothing was said about alignment of the tuner section or replacement of the multi section electrolytic capacitors in the power supply or the power amplifier coupling capacitors. Not a bad price at $850 but more service is needed to make it safe to use (I own one and have performed the above listed service).

The combination volume control/power switch is a high failure item but can be replaced (expensive) if needed. Nothing was said about alignment of the tuner section or replacement of the multi section electrolytic capacitors in the power supply or the power amplifier coupling capacitors. Not a bad price at $850 but more service is needed to make it safe to use (I own one and have performed the above listed service).
Hi, When you say "alignment of the tuner section," you may be onto something. I just set up the receiver and it sounds great, but the tuner picks up only a handful of sections. Of course, I haven't attached an antenna yet. And I'm not really planning to use the radio much, though it would be nice for it to operate. Any thoughts? Thanks

I purchased a MAC1500 earlier this year. Headphone section is excellent and has special secondary transformer windings specifically for the headphone output as opposed to the usual resistor placed in the speaker output circuit.
The tuner section I felt was equal to my MR67, maybe even a bit more musical. I find the unit very musical.

I purchased a MAC1500 earlier this year. Headphone section is excellent and has special secondary transformer windings specifically for the headphone output as opposed to the usual resistor placed in the speaker output circuit.
The tuner section I felt was equal to my MR67, maybe even a bit more musical. I find the unit very musical.
I’ve had the receiver now for a little over a day and I’m loving it. Only one small thing. Last night, I played Sticky Fingers and went upstairs as the record ended. A couple of minutes later the Mac began humming VERY loudly and I ran downstairs to turn it off, afraid something was about to blow. I haven’t turned it on since, but I’m worried that maybe this is why it sold for $850. As far as I know my turntable is grounded correctly, so I’m not sure what else could be causing this.

Definitely try it again, if the hum is still there, kill the power and get it to a tech ASAP. It's too nice a unit to run "dirty" may be as simple as power supply capacitors giving up on life but it's impossible to give a real diagnosis from here.

I’ve had the receiver now for a little over a day and I’m loving it. Only one small thing. Last night, I played Sticky Fingers and went upstairs as the record ended. A couple of minutes later the Mac began humming VERY loudly and I ran downstairs to turn it off, afraid something was about to blow. I haven’t turned it on since, but I’m worried that maybe this is why it sold for $850. As far as I know my turntable is grounded correctly, so I’m not sure what else could be causing this.

Could be lots of things. Yes a restoration is in order, but the humming could've been the connect from the table to the 1500 coming unconnected or loose. Could be the input needs a cleaning. Could be the connections in your cartridge a little loose. Could be the grounding. Check them all and be sure. Ask me how I know all of this.

Thanks! I tried it this morning and it was fine, but I’ll keep an eye on it. Hopefully if it’s anything it’s just power supply capacitors. Hard to complain too much at $850. Thanks again

Definitely try it again, if the hum is still there, kill the power and get it to a tech ASAP. It's too nice a unit to run "dirty" may be as simple as power supply capacitors giving up on life but it's impossible to give a real diagnosis from here.
tried it this morning and it
Probably a good idea to make sure the tubes are all seated properly, especially after transporting the unit.

Double check the turntable ground wire.
I did. Looks fine. Though the hum began again while I was listening to an album a few minutes ago.

Does it hum on other inputs other than 'phono'? Y or N, we'll go from there.
I'll check. I've been using the phono exclusively, but i'll use the radio for a bit. I have a feeling it's my Dual turntable. I had a similar problem before, until I had the metal on them covered up to a greater degree. Not sure why they'd be acting up again, though. But, as you suggest, I'll try the radio for a bit. Stay tuned!

What kind of Dual? If it's one that has a cartridge sled the contacts need cleaing to get rid of corrosion. Also could be the cartridge, what do you have on there? How are you grounding the table. Like I said, so many different, and possibly very simple, issues that might be causing this. Also try flipping the power cord if you are getting hum, and keeping interconnects and speaker wires as far away as possible from other power cords/gear.

As others have stated the power supply needs attention even if works well at the moment. I’ve never heard a 1500 but I have an MA230 integrated which is also a hybrid. I think the preamp sections on both units are the same. It is a nice sounding unit that I need to restore also. An aligned tuner can make a world of difference, I believe your tuner section is also a hybrid.

The first thing I would do is move the selector to AUX (with no signal present) and see if the hum disappears.

Back
Top Bottom