Buying new Receiver

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by xreaperx22, Jun 13, 2018.

1. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

hi all im getting ready to buy a new audio receiver like in the next few days but want to make sure i get a decent
    one,i was thinking of getting an Integra 40.4 from accessories for less cuz its a pretty good deal,so any input or suggestions would be great,ill be powering Bic Acoustech's PL-980's and for now just those but will be getting
    the rest of the Bic speakers that match,like the surrounds and subwoofer,i dont want to go over 250 for the receiver,so used or refurbished will be fine for me.So is the integra 40.4 the best i can get or would a yamaha or denon be better? also ill be hooking the receiver up to my computer using optical,any suggestions would be great thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Davron94

Davron94 Active Member

I've always loved the Integra line of devices. I have owned (and still do) several of their receivers and DVD players. Great quality builds and functionality. Very good longevity also. I am still running a DTR 6.4 from 2002 and a DTR 7.9 from 2007 with no problems. In my main HTS I'm running a DTR 50.4, which is a beast, and sounds terrific.

3. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

these are my options,either the integra 40.3....the pioneer elite vsx-lx102....or the denon avr-s920w

so which is best?

4. geespot

geespot PUT it IN MY POCKET

no such thing as the 'Best', choose what options (phono, digital inputs, zone amps, analog inputs) you need and the power requirements. I currently have a 70.4, 60.7, 20.3, and 20.4. Very robust feature set for the price. All mine where bought at AC4L.

5. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Have you considered two-channel, rather than HT? Some of us prefer stereo for music, and a good stereo sounds good for HT, too. Nothing wrong with HT, and some prefer surround for music, too. Personally, I decided that if I spend the same amount for two-channel as I would for HT/surround and all the associated speakers, etc, then I get better sound with stereo. I think it even a greater difference when the budget is tight. Just mentioning it as a possibility, not trying to convince anyone. There are many ways to skin the audio cat - good luck with your purchase, whatever your method for this madness.

Anti_Skate likes this.
  6. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

thats true i could go with stereo instead,but i want the surrounds for movies mainly and maybe a way to switch to stereo for music idk too many choices lol

7. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

im now leaning towards either the integra 40.3 or the pioneer elite....so down to 2.....almost there plan to order tonight if i can make up my mind lol

8. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

If patient, you might well garner more useful suggestions here - more useful than mine, above, I mean. I often see folks get a ton right after they order. And if you care to share your city location, an enthusiast nearby might help hook you up with something good.

9. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

i plan on buying from ac4l, im just torn between the integra 40.3 and the pioneer elite,i was hoping to hear more from peeps that own the 40.3 to seal the deal lol,my main thing is i want close to audiophile sound as i can get,now i know the integra isnt like a marantz or similar product but its close im hoping,considering it uses burr brown dac,and has 32 bit dsp and all that jazz lol

10. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I cringe at the thought of having to buy an AVR. So many options out there. Sounds like you won't lose with either one you have narrowed it down to. What has the best warranty and service if god forbid it has an issue 3 years from now?
    Next time though I will separate the amp section from all the controls. The tech changes too often, but only on the controls part. And it would have to turn into a nice 2 or 2.1 system with a push of a button.

11. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

yeah i would love the option to push a button and it be a 2.1 lol that would really seal the deal

12. xreaperx22

xreaperx22 New Member

ok so i bit the bullet and bought the 40.3,ordered it thursday got it today (saturday) i hate fedex they just left it there in front of my door and didnt even knock,i heard the sound of it hitting my door when he placed it thank god,i opened the door and he was halfway down the hall so i gave him a few choice words as he departed lol. anyways going to set it up ill come back and let you guys know how it went thanks everyone

awillia6 likes this.