Buying used - what is sensible?

Hasdrubal

I am looking forward to buying a system from scratch. I suppose I shall buy a new turntable (probably a Project DEBUT 3), given that it is probably the part that suffers the most mechanical wear. Would it be sensible to buy a used amplifier and a used CD player from ebay, say?

The problem there is that one must buy sight unseen. If I could buy something used on the spot, what possible problems should I look for?

I think buying on ebay for some items is sensible.
Don't buy turntables on ebay, that's one thing that won't last the shipping process.

Most speakers can handle the trip if packed well, but local pickup is always safest. (same for anything)

If the seller has a good rating, you can usually rest assured that the item is in good condition, if they describe it as so.

I usually keep away from items sold "as is," which could very well mean that they just say it's working and have it arrive dead to you.

Look for the phrase "gaurunteed not DOA" (not dead on arrival. da's good thing.)

make sure it is working. avoid the usual "should be an easy fix" etc.... they keep putting in their ads. look at their feedback. make sure it's close to 100% or high 90's.

as for cd players a lot of the cheap new ones sound great. look at some toshiba's or samsung's.

Hasdrubal,

Do your homework on any particular piece new or used before you buy anything anywhere. Start with a local craigslist if one is available. Then you'll be able to check out the gear first hand and save a big chunk from shipping.

Shipping can be a crap shoot. So try and get an item from a seller who knows how to pack electronic gear properly. Like Kasra says turntables have the highest mortality rate when it comes to shipping.

Good luck and have fun!

Do your homework. Know what you're looking for and what a fair price is.

Research the seller's background. Ask him every question you want to ask. He should be very forthcoming with information.

If all the planets align, go for it.

with anything big (like audio gear) I'll usually wait untill I find something local, so I can just drive and pick it up....did this with all four of my sansui's and it was the only way to do it.... :D

Hasdrubal said:
I am looking forward to buying a system from scratch. I suppose I shall buy a new turntable (probably a Project DEBUT 3), given that it is probably the part that suffers the most mechanical wear. Would it be sensible to buy a used amplifier and a used CD player from ebay, say?

The problem there is that one must buy sight unseen. If I could buy something used on the spot, what possible problems should I look for?

There's enough used audio around that while you can "think global" in terms of what to buy, why not "shop local"? As others have said, good equipment doesn't travel all that well unless expertly packed, and even then, why pay for shipping when there is probably 20 metric tons of it in any fair-sized North American city, just waiting for you to come and have a look at it BEFORE you buy?

As for what problems to look for, get the seller to make it play. Don't give up on turntables, good ones are often manual anyway, not much to wear out.

If it works, it works, right?

Plus, you have the chance to haggle and get instant gratification, if you make a deal on the spot. :)

You would be suprised at what you can find at thrift stores and garage sales. Myself, I like the hunt for equipment and taking a chance on items as most only cost less than 10 or 20 dollars. If I have the opportunity, I will test stuff on the spot, If not I will do a visual and smell the item to see if there is a burnt smell. On most items I pay less than Five dollars, so if the item does not work I am not out of very much money and I have something I can store and use for parts. You don't have to buy everything you see. Just buy what you think you will like.

I second jonman, tomorrow is saturday, go garage saleing. Get up 6:15 and get the paper and hit the garage sales near by. I picked up a nice pair of JBL L 100 last week for $10. Spend tonight and get familiar with the nicer TOTL Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood etc so you will know what you are looking for. Do not settle for Junk and keep looking. Modern cheesy home theater systems are giving bargins in vintiage stereo and dummies that will or do not do their homework are dumping it everyday.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom