C 2 as a budget preamp or better options ?

Brad6260

Newbie entering into the separates for first time and need a budget preamp with a terrific phono section to mate with a M4 amp.
Reading reviews of the C2 everyone quickly goes to the C2a model as far better but it's way beyond my meager $300-400 budget.
So my question is in my budget range should the original C2 preamp be on the top of my list or are there better values out there ? One example is I see quite a few NAD 1600 pre amps out there?

Thanks very much.

I'd use a C-2 anyday.I have a C-2 to match up with my M-2. Sold the C-2a because everybody wants one and easier to sell. The C-4 matches the M-4 for looks.Also has and excellent phono and more cart. load selection than a C-2.

Where can you find C-2 for 300-400?!?!?!? !!!! Id get two for that price !!!

All I ever see them for is over 600 !!!

nashou

I haven't seen any of the C2 series go for less than $600 in quite a while.
I'd look for a C4 or a C80 if you don't mind the case styles being a bit different.
I run a restored C80 as it seems to sound better in my current system than my C2a or C2x.

I prefer the C-70,80 and 85 over a C-2 or C-2a. I haven't heard a C-2x. I use the inverted output so theres a strike against a C-2x .

I prefer the C-70,80 and 85 over a C-2 or C-2a. I haven't heard a C-2x. I use the inverted output so theres a strike against a C-2x .
The C80 is a very, very nice preamp. Inverted outputs, Tone Bypass, Parametric Tone controls, variable loudness, multiple phono loading. What more can you ask for (aside from better solder joints)?

I'd go for a C-4, it has an even better (more adjustable) phono section than the C-2. And the looks together with the M-4 are amazing. I've A / B listened them both for a while and for me the C-4 came out on top.

Btw, I sold a mint condition C-2 a few months ago for € 450,- ($ 480).Silly me or the market value is a bit lower in Europe :idea:

I'd go for a C-4, it has an even better (more adjustable) phono section than the C-2. And the looks together with the M-4 are amazing. I've A / B listened them both for a while and for me the C-4 came out on top.

Btw, I sold a mint condition C-2 a few months ago for € 450,- ($ 480).Silly me or the market value is a bit lower in Europe :idea:

I have both a C-4 and a C-2. Interestingly enough hifido sells their recapped C-2's for $1000+ and C-4's for only about $300-$400. Definitely seems upside down to me.

If you can get a C-2 for your budget. A C-2a has more options for phono.If it hasn't been serviced ,like most all yamaha pre-amps, it will have some issues eventually.

Last edited:
Going prices are pretty pricey for the C-1.

Yes I see that!

Well carry on with the C-2 conversation and sorry for threadjack.

I'm also a big Yamaha fan and user for many years and the C-2 is a very good pre I'm sure.

Best sounding Pre I've ever had the pleasure with.

I dare to challenge that with a Kenwood L-1000C :cool: (except for its looks :oops:)
But the C-1 has such a historical legacy and unobtanium status that we got to have one :beatnik:
And it is good of course, after the necessary revamp works

I dare to challenge that with a Kenwood L-1000C
The chances of me getting one of those in are probably pretty slim. So I'll have to take your word for it. I think in the past 10 years I've worked on one Kenwood. But two or three C-1's.;)

Back
Top Bottom