C-24

LPD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ok I know that this preamp doesn't have a huge cult following, nor is it considered a decent preamp but I couldn't resist. I snagged one on E-Bay for $125.00 in working condition and clean. Any thoughts on these?

I own a C 24, in fact have two of them, one working and one not. What I like most about the C 24 is the phono stage and my Shure M 97xE really sounds fantastic on it. The only thing wrong with my C 24 is that it's getting a little noisy in its old age and will need to go in and be worked on soon. I will agree that the C 24 was not their best preamp but, still worthy of the McIntosh name. Getting one for $ 125. is fantastic and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Clyde

I'm getting one here in Italy, probably next week; I know it's not a C11 (which i do own), but for 300 euro, mint condition, perfectly worked on, I consider it a bargain! And it will be the fifth McIntosh preamp in my collection!
Not many C24 here, forty years ago people seemed to prefer C22 tube preamps, or C26 and C28 SS preamps!

Marco
Milan- Italy

LPD said:
Ok I know that this preamp doesn't have a huge cult following, nor is it considered a decent preamp but I couldn't resist. I snagged one on E-Bay for $125.00 in working condition and clean. Any thoughts on these?
I've never owned one, from what I have read they are speaker dependant.
They can sound wonderful with the right speaker/system synergy.

Carl

I just got one on ebay and hope it will match with my L100

$125 is ultra good deal!
the one i got need $340, but not many seller shipped oversea anyway....
so still consider its a good deal.... :D

12 years old this thread is but I'll contribute by saying I've just added a recapped C24 to my collection. I love it! Using it in tandem with a restored Harman Kardon Citation 22 power amp, and the coupling is wonderful. I was using a Citation 25 preamp until it bit the dust, but in the past I've used various pre's, including a a Mac MX110, and this little guy stands up to all of them. I would suggest that those that dismiss this pre out of hand might listen to a restored one first, then decide. There aren't too many deals to be had in Mac land these days, but you can still get the C24 for reasonable sums, and after a thorough refreshing I'm guessing it will surprise.

macc24.jpg

@CountD who had a lot of experience with McIntosh always spoke highly of the C24. Values have gone up lately I've noticed.

Unfortunately he hasn't been around in years.

Back
Top Bottom