C-50 Phono 1 vs Phono 2 switch

pdm4606

I finally came up with a logical solution that has been bugging me for the past 6 years. That being the failure of the Phono 1 vs Phono 2 selector switch. The actual slider is not larger that the head of a pin and is totally open to the outside environment.
Really this switch is so small and prone to dirt as to make it illogical for use on home equipment. And besides that who uses 2 turntables?
I used to but not any more. Just one ROK with custom tone arm and other mods.
So getting tired of cleaning the switch every week I chose another route.
I bypassed the switch entirely and soldered in a jumper for each channel.
Jumping from the in RCA jacks directly to another row of switches.
So far it's working fine. As I have 2 of the C50's I did the same on both.
Really the Yamaha preamp is a fine machine. It is quiet, solid and sound great.
Its' just the switches that create an issue.

But not with a C-50. I use a C-70 without any issues.(New set of relays);) All switches disassembled and cleaned.New compliment of e-caps.:music:

Last edited:
I use two Yamaha turntables in my system. The YP-D8 from 1977 and the YP-D71 from 1979. Both are connected to a C-85 preamp and I have never had a problem. I love the versatility of having two quality turntables that are well matched to my system. It also allows me to spread the load on my cartridges and spend less time changing records. Having two turntables is really great during extended listening sessions.

I finally came up with a logical solution that has been bugging me for the past 6 years. That being the failure of the Phono 1 vs Phono 2 selector switch. The actual slider is not larger that the head of a pin and is totally open to the outside environment.
Really this switch is so small and prone to dirt as to make it illogical for use on home equipment. And besides that who uses 2 turntables?
I used to but not any more. Just one ROK with custom tone arm and other mods.
So getting tired of cleaning the switch every week I chose another route.
I bypassed the switch entirely and soldered in a jumper for each channel.
Jumping from the in RCA jacks directly to another row of switches.
So far it's working fine. As I have 2 of the C50's I did the same on both.
Really the Yamaha preamp is a fine machine. It is quiet, solid and sound great.
Its' just the switches that create an issue.

Post pictures about your bad switch

I also use two turntables with my C-70. PX-2 with DV MC and PF-1000 with AT MM. Cleaning the switch once a year should do it.

Back
Top Bottom