C20 preamp variations

CarlV

Lunatic Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by jackson on 10-09-2004 12:46 AM:
C20 preamp variations

Hello. I've got a C20 and I've noticed over the years that there are differnet types. Some have a center brass bar some don't. Some have a potted transformer etc. Which models are the older ones and which are newer ?

Here are a couple of a pictures of mine, it has no center bar and no potted transformer.

http://home.alltel.net/vaughndavis/mc3.JPG
http://home.alltel.net/vaughndavis/mc9.JPG

Thanks, Jackson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by ronflugelguy on 10-09-2004 07:56 AM:

I believe that's a later model. And does it have two preouts ?

Posted by jackson on 10-09-2004 08:25 AM:

It has a main output, and a tape output that is at a fixed volume level. Doesn't have two mains with volume control if thats what you meen

Jackson

Posted by ronflugelguy on 10-09-2004 08:40 AM:

There's a third version that has two preouts plus a tape out. The front looks like yours. I have a first version that has the brass bar across the front and only has the preot and tape out.

Posted by VintageMac on 10-09-2004 02:01 PM:

This is my first post. I'm new to the McIntosh forum and really enjoying it!

The C20s did appear to be in three different versions.

The serial number sequences are:

1L001 to 5L817
6L001 to 8L379
100A1 to 329A2

You can probably tell if you have an "early" or "later" C20 by checking your serial number against these.

VintageMac

Posted by dewickt on 10-09-2004 02:03 PM:

Three Versions
1- Brass bar down center of Plastic front panel (not glass).
2- Gold McIntosh logo and model painted on the front of the glass where the brass bar was in the first version .
3-All lettering is on the back side of the glass, is 5/16 inch taller than versions 1 and 2, has 2 sets of main outputs, most will have the potted transformer.

Back
Top Bottom