C32 , a little curious .....

1ontop=

Why the McIntosh insignia and model description on the glass face plate of the C32 do not light up?

Deal breaker!! Nah, I had a C32 and used to look at it in the dark and wonder why the McIntosh logo was never lit.....

Hello

1) because the front glass is not designed for that
2) because there is no circuit inside the unit and no lamp behind the front glass !

Actually I prefer the non-illuminated "McIntosh C32 Stereo Preamplifier" logo. A McIntosh doesn't need to draw attention to itself. :)

Back in the day when these were new...

I bought a 2105/28 combo and loved looking at it in the dark. Several yrs later I bought a 2205/32 combo and noticed this on the 32. When I asked about it, the dealer said, "Mr. McIntosh was not happy finding this out and told the designers that he wants the 'name' lit up from now on".

So the reason? = designer error.

My next combo was the 2255/33. The 33 was 'all' lit up and peace was restored to the Universe.

Ah, that explains the big blue meters then. ;)

Well, meter illumination is a functional necessity so that's a bit different. :)

There's also a specific reason McIntosh chose blue which has to do with the wavelength/speed(?) of the color making small imperfections in the glass less perceptible which is also less fatiguing on the eyes. I think they also mentioned blue being used in the aircraft industry for similar reasons.

Last edited:
There's also a specific reason McIntosh chose blue which has to do with the wavelength/speed(?) of the color making small imperfections in the glass less perceptible which is also less fatiguing on the eyes. I think they also mentioned blue being used in the aircraft industry for similar reasons.
Silly me. When I started electronics school in the late 70’s and saw those teal green Tektronix oscilloscopes, the first thing I thought of was McIntosh. I just figured they developed their look based on that motif.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather if all McIntosh just had the lettering for the controls be illuminated only. Don't need to be perpetually alerted the tuner is a tuner, a power amplifier is a power amplifier etc., their model numbers nor the fact that it is a McIntosh - but that's just me.

Reminds me of the dash display on a buddy's Corvette that briefly flashes the message "Corvette" each time the car is ignition switch is turned on - as if to say the car is now in "Corvette mode" - as opposed to what? Winnebago?

Don't get me started on 12V wires to light up "McIntosh" nameplate on speakers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather if all McIntosh just had the lettering for the controls be illuminated only. Don't need to be perpetually alerted the tuner is a tuner, a power amplifier is a power amplifier etc., their model numbers nor the fact that it is a McIntosh - but that's just me. . .

And, in fact, my (the) MX 121 display shuts off most of the status info a few seconds after you're done controlling or changing something. The info lights back up momentarily whenever you push a control button.

Back
Top Bottom