C32 question regarding speakers

Slewfoot

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well! Question for all you knowledgeable folk when you have a moment: I have a McIntosh C32 connected to a McIntosh MC-2300. I love it. I am currently running a pair of JBL 4312 through the MC-2300. My room set up makes it so that I have to have these speakers very close to each other right in front of me. Makes for a powerful sound, but I wouldn't mind some more stereo imaging.

What is the best way to set up a pair of bookshelf speakers? Must be bookshelf for space. Can I connect a pair of speakers direct to the Output 2 on the C32? Would that even play with no power amp? Do I need an adapter of some sort? I'm not really interested in buying another power amp and from what I understand the MC-2300 only accommodates one pair of speakers.

Apologies if this all seems like a ridiculous question. I'm not a tech guy and want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Thank you!

Well, your MC2300 could drive (16) pairs of 8 Ohm speakers, all wired in parallel, without breaking a sweat. The amplifier in the C32 isn't much power but certainly could be used to drive an efficient pair of speakers - so that's an option as well.

Your best option would be to purchase the McIntosh SCR2. This plugs into your C32 and allows you to use the Speaker 1 / Speaker 2 front panel switches to use one or both pair of speakers. In addition, you can plug the MC2300 AC cord into the AC outlet on the SCR2 so that the amp turns ON and OFF automatically in sync with the C32.

Download the OM for the SCR2 and read up for further explanation. These are readily available on the used market and typically sell for $150 or less.

Well, your MC2300 could drive (16) pairs of 8 Ohm speakers, all wired in parallel, without breaking a sweat. The amplifier in the C32 isn't much power but certainly could be used to drive an efficient pair of speakers - so that's an option as well.

Your best option would be to purchase the McIntosh SCR2. This plugs into your C32 and allows you to use the Speaker 1 / Speaker 2 front panel switches to use one or both pair of speakers. In addition, you can plug the MC2300 AC cord into the AC outlet on the SCR2 so that the amp turns ON and OFF automatically in sync with the C32.

Download the OM for the SCR2 and read up for further explanation. These are readily available on the used market and typically sell for $150 or less.

Thank you!!! I didn't realize I could plug in more than one pair of speakers into the MC-2300. Can I do that directly into the unit? I already have speakers into the 8 ohm and com connections for left and right channels. Where would another pair go exactly? Or would I use the SCR2 connected to the MC-2300 to plug in more?

Please forgive my ignorance!

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Your signature shows C34...?

McIntoshSCR-2SpeakerRelay-D.jpg

Hi Guys,

I just called Ryan at Audio Classics. He's keeping an eye out for a pair of bookshelf speakers for me and he mentioned I could just connect both speakers to the 16ohm and com connections. The two connections would then be split yielding an 8ohm connection. Didn't realize that! Told ya I'm new at this. :^)

Appreciate the insights on the SCR2. Might go that route at some point as well!

The JBL 4312 is an 8 ohm speaker. If an additional 8 ohm speaker is wired in parallel with the JBL, the result will be 4 ohm and connections should be made at the 4 ohm taps of the MC2300.

The C32 has its own internal 12 wpc monitor amplifier which can be fed by either the RECORD or LISTEN buss. This means you can play an independent program in a remote location from another source while simultaneously listening to a different program in the main listening area.

Strongly recommend reading the C32 owners manual thoroughly to familiarize yourself with all the special features of the C32.
Reading Time: 44 minutes. ;)

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/C32 Owners.pdf

The JBL 4312 is an 8 ohm speaker. If an additional 8 ohm speaker is wired in parallel with the JBL, the result will be 4 ohm and connections should be made at the 4 ohm taps of the MC2300.

The C32 has its own internal 12 wpc monitor amplifier which can be fed by either the RECORD or LISTEN buss. This means you can play an independent program in a remote location from another source while simultaneously listening to a different program in the main listening area.

Strongly recommend reading the C32 owners manual thoroughly to familiarize yourself with all the special features of the C32.
Reading Time: 44 minutes. ;)

http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/C32 Owners.pdf

Thanks! Yes, I read a bunch of the Manual, but some of it is almost in Greek to me. I blew out a new receiver years ago when connecting things so am always a bit hesitant.

Although are you saying you do not agree with what Audio Classics said? Should I not be connecting two pairs of speakers at once into the 16ohm and com ports to then make each 8ohm?

I should add that if anyone has any suggestions on a pair of vintage small bookshelf speakers around 13" x 8" that should work well with my existing system I'm all ears - no pun intended. These would be placed in the corners of the room for more stereo imaging.

Thank you!!!

Thanks! Yes, I read a bunch of the Manual, but some of it is almost in Greek to me. I blew out a new receiver years ago when connecting things so am always a bit hesitant.

Although are you saying you do not agree with what Audio Classics said? Should I not be connecting two pairs of speakers at once into the 16ohm and com ports to then make each 8ohm?

I think a miscommunication occurred somewhere. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel resulting in 4 ohms is mathematical fact. Wired in series however would result in 16 ohms but that wiring method is not advisable for high fidelity purposes. A 4 ohm load at the 16 ohm taps is not something that should be done.

I think a miscommunication occurred somewhere. Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel resulting in 4 ohms is mathematical fact. Wired in series however would result in 16 ohms but that wiring method is not advisable for high fidelity purposes. A 4 ohm load at the 16 ohm taps is not something that should be done.

Now I'm even more confused! :^) But perhaps getting the SCR2 makes the most sense anyway as then I have the option of turning that other pair off or on depending on music at hand.

And also I imagine that with the way I use the MC-2300 not all bookshelf speakers would be able to handle it!

Running a smaller pair of speakers won't be an issue with the MC2300 isn't an issue. The problem is getting the the rears balanced with the mains which you won't be able to do since there is no means of independent regulation of volume level between each speaker pair.

One pair may play significantly louder than the other with a given amount of power. Distance to listening position will also affect how loud the sound coming from one pair will be heard as well.

Ideally you need another amplifier in order to match the level between the fronts & rears.

Running a smaller pair of speakers won't be an issue with the MC2300 isn't an issue. The problem is getting the the rears balanced with the mains which you won't be able to do since there is no means of independent regulation of volume level between each speaker pair.

One pair may play significantly louder than the other with a given amount of power. Distance to listening position will also affect how loud the sound coming from one pair will be heard as well.

Ideally you need another amplifier in order to match the level between the fronts & rears.

Thanks and good points! Seems like another reason to go with the SCR2 to the C32. I would prefer to have the JBL's still be the focus, but have the bookshelf speakers give more of a feeling of space through accents. Definitely wouldn't want them any louder than the JBL's, ideally softer which it sounds like the SCR2 would accomplish assuming you agree.

Just like Tony, I am sure doesn't drive his blown Olds to the shop every day, it sounds like your JBL/Mc2300 setup is way over kill for your current listening situation.

So it is time to take advantage of the turn of the century audio designs to accommodate your current room.

While the satellite subwoofer speaker setup goes back to the 70s it has really became the main focus of audio over the past few decades because of home theater......

I would consider one of the first sat/sub companies as a reference of how to do it correctly and that would be M&K.

Ken Kreisel got his start in home audio from the pro ranks when he built custom subwoofers for Jonas Miller to resell in his LA audio store back in the 70s.

Use the amp section of the C32 to drive the main sat speakers and run the powered sub off of output1 and the MC2300 off output 2 as a example...

There are certainly hundreds of choices for sat/sub systems.......but M&K was a market leader for decades. I have done this in my own office with a pair of S85s and the M&K push pull dual 8 inch sub system.

Thanks and good points! Seems like another reason to go with the SCR2 to the C32. I would prefer to have the JBL's still be the focus, but have the bookshelf speakers give more of a feeling of space through accents. Definitely wouldn't want them any louder than the JBL's, ideally softer which it sounds like the SCR2 would accomplish assuming you agree.

SCR2 is a speaker switching relay only. It's not able to regulate the volume level of either speaker pair independently of one another.

However, this could be accomplished by using the C32's rear panel amplifier outputs which can be controlled independently by the level controls on the top of the C32. Since this is a 12 wpc (closer to 17 wpc) amplifier, you'd want to make sure the rear speakers are fairly high sensitivity.

SCR2 is a speaker switching relay only. It's not able to regulate the volume level of either speaker pair independently of one another.

However, this could be accomplished by using the C32's rear panel amplifier outputs which can be controlled independently by the level controls on the top of the C32. Since this is a 12 wpc (closer to 17 wpc) amplifier, you'd want to make sure the rear speakers are fairly high sensitivity.

Thanks and good point on the up top level controls! Do any bookshelf speakers come to mind that should fit in nicely with the setup I described (also seen in my avatar)?

Much appreciated!

Try posting in the speaker forum for suggestions on high sensitivity bookshelf speakers to be used as rears with a 15 wpc amplifier. Probably not a bad idea to give some idea of the dimensions you're looking for as well.

Try posting in the speaker forum for suggestions on high sensitivity bookshelf speakers to be used as rears with a 15 wpc amplifier. Probably not a bad idea to give some idea of the dimensions you're looking for as well.

Will do and thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom