C32 restoration

Mylar is Dupont's original marketing name for PET. So you are really speaking of the same dielectric material between the WIMA and the ERO branded caps Mac used extensively back in the 70's and 80's. I do not the manufacturing differences between the two products but I assume they are both the stacked design.

I am trying to remember if Mac has ever used the WIMA product.

I do know there are many cute and not so cute nicknames for the various film caps used over the years, mostly I think coming from the guitar crowd's on going search for tone.

As for the C26, I hope to try to replicate your findings soon, but the project has been going on for two years as I do not have much free time to experiment with it.
Hi c_dc,
Sorry for the confusion,
Wima makes at least two types of capacitors. Polyester (PET) and Polypropylene (PP). I replace the Mcintosh EROs with high quality axial polypropylene caps where they will fit and Wima (PP) where space is limited. There is a sonic clarity and sound stage improvement when I did this to the C26 and other pieces of equipment i have modified.

Mine serial number is AY4193. Check your serial number and schematic notes in service manual if you have any differences at capacitor list.

I am glad that you find this thread useful:)

Started the recap today. Finished the Eq board, the headphone amp/monitor board and the loudness and expander control board up front. I also used deoxit on all of the controls I could get at thus far. I had to replace one ribbon thus far. They don't do well being pulled out, and then pushed back in. Kind of brittle. I have the replacement kit however, so no worries. I quickly put it back together for a quick test. Sounds amazing already! Sharp, crisp detail, and more lively! More depth in both sonic directions. Tomorrow I do the large boards in the back, and the expander board. I am going to also need to replace a few more ribbons, but not the majority. Exciting!

Hey! There's a cap hiding underneath in the back of the unit. I just happened to spot it after flipping the pre over. Lol. Tomorrow I recap the expander board. I had to replace a bunch of the smaller ribbons today. I should just replace them all, as I have the kit to do so. This is the most labor intensive recap ever! I must have at least 12 hrs into this job. My neck is killing me. Luckily, I stand at my workbench. Ivocro, that one cap you pointed out as reversed on your expander board is also that way on mine. It is reverse of what the schematic shows, but I don't think the factory would make the mistake twice? Perhaps the schematic is wrong?

Done! Well, except for the screw terminal big caps. I ordered the wrong ones from Mouser, and the right ones should be here mid week. I will put them in then. I was so worried that it wouldn't work after doing all of that work, and reassembling. But, lo and behold it sounds beautiful! I ended replacing almost all of the ribbons. Only 3 are in good enough shape to stay in. Mostly, it's when you disconnect them, they fall apart due to age and heat. What an accomplishment.

About reversed cap on Expander board, I would say that schematic is correct. But reverse position should do no harm.

Guys I need some help!! I am restoring/recapping my C32, and the relay was bad, so I took it off and all is well and ready but I'm about to install this board with the relay and thought I had the colors correct, but now the 2 ones highlighting in the picture seem the same now, kind of brown/light brown. So my question is: which one goes to the top connection (which brown cable) and which one to the bottom connection??? From where can I trace the correct connections. IMG_20180814_231743.jpg Thanks in advance!!

it is in service manual
Hi, the only C32 service manual I can locate is the earlier version, "Starting with SN AY1001", are there other versions available? The "auto turn on board" shown in the pic is from a later version. My C32, SN - AY5831 has "auto turn on board", board number 045-355, which is also used in the C34. The "auto turn on board" 045-121, in the AY1001 manual is an earlier version.

Hello

there is minimum 8 service manuals for C32
The picture that you show is later version (relay on pcb) and not early version (relay screwed on chassis)
What make you think that your relay is bad ? Any missing details ?
You did not give your serial number of your C32 and of course the SM you have downloaded is not the right one !

Hello

there is minimum 8 service manuals for C32
The picture that you show is later version (relay on pcb) and not early version (relay screwed on chassis)
What make you think that your relay is bad ? Any missing details ?
You did not give your serial number of your C32 and of course the SM you have downloaded is not the right one !
Hello Clinic-Audio, My C32 has SN-AY5831, I've searched dozens of sites only to find the manual for AY1001. Are the other versions available? Thanks

Welcome on AK !
Yes, but no longer available at the factory in original condition
You can do like I did , buy them on the web , crossing fingers to get good conditions manuals at attractive price !
The big problem with the sellers is that they don't know what they sell
It is very easy to precise in the title of their auction that the service manual for sale is the part number 039-xxx and this way no risk to buy in double and you are sure to buy the one you are looking for
May this message make them understand one for once
this part number is on the last page down in left corner for all old model and on the front page for some other
What is the number of yours ?

Welcome on AK !
Yes, but no longer available at the factory in original condition
You can do like I did , buy them on the web , crossing fingers to get good conditions manuals at attractive price !
The big problem with the sellers is that they don't know what they sell
It is very easy to precise in the title of their auction that the service manual for sale is the part number 039-xxx and this way no risk to buy in double and you are sure to buy the one you are looking for
May this message make them understand one for once
this part number is on the last page down in left corner for all old model and on the front page for some other
What is the number of yours ?
Hi C-A, My SN-AY5831, the Manuals I see are all AY1001. Your correct, not many people seem to understand the different models available. Thanks, John

Back
Top Bottom