C33 Phono stage question

Hi,

I've got a C33 mated with a MC2255. The C33 was recapped by Terry D about 10yrs ago & has ran great. I have gotten back into vinyl & am using a Thorens TD125 MkII with Grado Red cartridge, and am debating on stepping up to a nicer MC cartridge. The C33 has 2 MM phono stages. I was wondering if it is possible to modify or convert one to MC? I want to keep using the C33's phono stage & keep things as simple as possible. I suspect a SUT is in my future, but please let me if converting the MM stage to MC is even a possibility.

Thanks, Mike

The short answer is no. You'll need to invest in an MC phono preamplifier if you want to use your C33 with a moving coil cartridge.

Back when the C33 was new, 35 years ago, we used a number of MC cartridges with it. EMT and Ortofon with their respective pre preamp, we called them head amp's back then, as well as the Audio Technica AT32 with it's corresponding variable matching transformer. There also was a NAD high output MC we used, later high output MCs from Dynavector and Sumiko.

When Gordon Gow and I first tested the Mac MC prototypes we used the AT transformer as the McIntosh pre pre amp was not yet available.

The gain was sufficient, the preamp was quiet enough to use high output MCs with no issue, but that was 30-35 years ago.

I have found that all these 25 years or older Mac preamps really need a capacitor restoration to truly get the most out of these aging gracefully but still aging, preamps.

Currently I have been testing a restored C35 with both a restored Ortofon head amp, a Signet variable transformer and a high output Denon MC cartridge direct with excellent results.

Back when the C33 was new, 35 years ago, we used a number of MC cartridges with it. EMT and Ortofon with their respective pre preamp, we called them head amp's back then, as well as the Audio Technica AT32 with it's corresponding variable matching transformer. There also was a NAD high output MC we used, later high output MCs from Dynavector and Sumiko.

When Gordon Gow and I first tested the Mac MC prototypes we used the AT transformer as the McIntosh pre pre amp was not yet available.

The gain was sufficient, the preamp was quiet enough to use high output MCs with no issue, but that was 30-35 years ago.

I have found that all these 25 years or older Mac preamps really need a capacitor restoration to truly get the most out of these aging gracefully but still aging, preamps.

Currently I have been testing a restored C35 with both a restored Ortofon head amp, a Signet variable transformer and a high output Denon MC cartridge direct with excellent results.

Which high output Denon cart exactly? The DL110? I always thought the high output MC's could be run straight into the existing MM phono stages without much loss?

c_dk,

When Terry Dewict went through my C33 10 yrs ago, he indicated that he did a complete audio path update. The invoice indicates parts used were 32 Muse KZ and ES capacitors. Is that the capacitor restoration that you are referring to? Since getting it back, the unit has performed flawlessly, and with my current vinyl system, Thorens TD125 & Grado Red MM cartridge, I find the playback to be outstanding. I am just looking to capture that last bit of potential vinyl magic that may be there, by upgrading to a nicer cartridge. Anything else you can suggest to maximize my vinyl playing experience is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I am not chasing unicorns.

Thanks, Mike

Mike - grab a Dynavector DV10x5 high output MC and call it a day. I've never felt the need to go any further ...

Hi,

I've thought about the dynavector HOMC (10x5 & 20x2) cartridges but they are not a direct fit on the TP16 arm for my turntable. They require a head shell mod that I'd rather not do. Other HOMC cartridges are an option, but most of what I've read indicates in the end, they fall a bit short of what a good LOMC can do.

Thanks, Mike

Anything else you can suggest to maximize my vinyl playing experience is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I am not chasing unicorns.

Thanks, Mike

If you've not done so already, make sure the turntable is set up correctly and aligned correctly. Also, squeaky clean vinyl and styli are very important. Lots of tips on that in other forums here on AK.

I added a MP 100 to my C-34 that had been repaired and verified lately to get the phono sound I once had with my C-29 using Ortofons with SUT's. I now use Dynavector 20 X 2 and the MP 100 just gives an extra dimension the C-34 couldn't accomplish. I still may add an XX-2 in the for seeable future. That was the original plan and why i bought the MP 100. But the improvement of the 20 X 2 HO has been very very satisfying for me now.

Back
Top Bottom