C33 rear outlet question

ninohernes

Analog Freak
How many amps can the black switched outlets handle? I would like to connect my power amp to one of these. According to the spec sheet, my power amp (Eico HF-89) draws 270 watts at full output. This is not really a concern, since the outlets can handle up to 1200 watts. However, my amp draws 5 amperes of current, and the spec sheet for the C33 does not tell how many amps the switched outlets can handle.

Va=w

5 amps is about 600 watts and 270 watts is about 2.25 amps, both at 120v.

Anyway, the usual rule of thumb is to plug your amp directly into the wall. However, you're well within limits plugging your amp into the back of the pre-amp. Without looking it up, I would guess that the C-33 doesn't draw more than about 50 watts max under normal use.

Murray

skippy_ps said:
5 amps is about 600 watts and 270 watts is about 2.25 amps, both at 120v.

I am a recording engineer, and I am well aware of that formula, that is why I found the spec sheet for my amp so strange... However, it doesnt state the conditions of the measurment. It probably only draws 5 amps at startup, while the tubes are warming up.

The only reason I want the amp plugged into the preamp is so I can switch them both on at the same time. The switch on my amp is in the back, where it is hard to get too. What I might do is try to find the McIntosh speaker controler, which has outlets on it for the power amp which are controled by the preamp. I could just use it for the power switching, and not use the speaker switching feature, since I dont need it.

Last edited:
Last year I was doing some power measurments on a few computers at home (idle and while running CPU burn or Folding@Home) and ended up getting a Kill A Watt meter. They're only about $30 or so and seem to be reasonably accurate - I checked mine against my vom and got pretty much the same amp readings. KAW also calculates "power factor" which is a more accurate measurement of actual power consumed.

No tube expert here, but, 5 amps at start up seems like a bunch of amps! My Denon 3805 receiver idles at 70 watts and 3 int amps that I checked (all ss) idle at max 40 watts.

Murray

This amp is a 50 wpc amp. It has HUGE transformers. Here is a pic:

hf892.jpg

hf89.jpg

Here is a size perspective shot, I placed a 12AX7 in front of one of the output transformers to show how big the thing is!
eico2.jpg

This thing dumps current to the loudspekers, and this is why I love it. I drive very inefficient speakers, and this amp drives them with no audible distortion.

Last edited:
Biguns

Yep, those are big transformers. Cool amp.

The closest thing I could come up with was my MC-2002 amp (200 wpc.) Startup is right at 1.0 amp for about 1 sec and then idles at .5 amp.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom