C36 Noisy volume control

maxhifi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have a C36 which has a noisy volume control, when cleaned by spraying contact cleaner into the holes in the potentiometer case it goes away for about a week, them comes back.

Wonder first if this is a known or common issue, and second, is there a source for replacement volume controls?

The control is made by alps, and appears good quality. I confirmed with a high impedance volt meter there is no DC on the control.

You should lubricate not clean

I used MG Chemicals super contact cleaner, which claims to "clean, lubricate, and improve conductivity" It's never failed me yet. This preamp has also previously been to two techs who did the same thing, clean/lubricate the volume control, only for the noise to come back within a week. I could try a better lubricant, if it's likely to improve matters, I'm afraid changing the control would be the most expedient way to repair it, at this point.

Last edited:
I looked it up and there is a music store locally which sells that stuff, I'm going to get some and give it a try before trying anything more drastic, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom