C36 Viscount LE14A eWaves

Zonker92

All shiny and chrome
Just Finished! C36 Viscount LE14A eWaves

OK, just fired these up and am quite pleased. The pictures should be pretty self-explanatory.

I bought empty cabinets on Craigslist; looks like someone re-veneered them at some point. They still had the slots in the bottoms for grills, so I filled them with MDF inserts and veneered the slots (see the photo further below, with the drivers face-down on the baffles). The new grills are kits from Parts Express and the cloth came from JoAnne Fabrics.

Resistors are Mills. Erse Super-Q inductors. Jantzen Standard caps bypassed with Vishays (added later). wiredbecker most kindly hooked me up with jackgiff's schematic.

LE14A woofers with fresh surrounds, and D220Ti compression drivers on Pyle waveguides. Fresh "JBL oil" on the cabinets, after lightly sanding them.

The four-inch ports are from Parts Express. I have them held together with electrical tape so we can play with the lengths, but right now the bass sounds really good at 8.5".

I refinished the backs and added new baffles (plywood and MDF sandwiches) over the old ones. New fiberglass, just for fun.

Legs are new, from a furniture supply place (alphafurnishings).

Graphics thanks to Dumptruck! And thanks, too, to Zilch, wiredbecker, GordonW, djnagle, Joe L, and everyone else who helped me!

Last edited:
DSC_0835.JPG
DSC_0895.JPG
DSC_0905.JPG
DSC_0844.JPG
le14a.jpg

Last edited:
Man, elegant in a mid-century sort of way with the legs. Nice job!

Cheers,

David

Those are gorgeous! Especially like the legs - where did you get 'em? Oh, did you test your new speakers with Isabella Rosselini's rendition of Blue Velvet? :D (sorry, couldn't resist.)

I did something very similar with Acousticraft cabinets and Bozak woofers, but mine are sealed, infinite baffle. Deep accurate bass with sweet highs from that great ewave setup. :music:

I'm still sporting the old style wooden furniture legs I picked up cheap from Home Depot - will hopefully find some nice metal legs soon.

Nice work, real nice work :thmbsp:

What's the volume of those cab? They look to be quite a bit smaller than the 4.5 ft3 ones I built for my LE14A E-Waves, which are playing as I type and sound great.

Thanks so much!

They sound really, really good. Clear, detailed, dynamic and a lot of bass. Good soundstage, nice imaging.

I have heard similar setups at the Z-mans lab and can honestly say that these should sound amazing. I absolutely LOVE the real (no boom just real bass) bass that mine crank out (Zilches 4340 clones.) The highs are unreal as well. Enjoying right now.

Back
Top Bottom