C47 & MC152 vs. MA9000

kingstoneage

hi folks,
what sounds better the C47/MC152 combo or a MA9000 integrated amp?

What are your thoughts?

I have the opportunity to get a MA9000 instead of my C47/MC152 combo.

Go with separates. It will offer the most flexibility. As a person that has owned an C47/MC152 I'm a little biased. The MA9000 doesn't really save much space. You cannot go wrong either way.

The MA 9000 has more power, with Graphic tone controls the C-47 doesn't have. A MC 302 would be a closer match, but you would need a C-50 to come closer to the MA 9000. The 9000 is a mighty impressive unit. But I imagine 10 years from now a C-47 and 152 would be worth more money. If I were starting over a MA 9000 might be the perfect choicer a lot of folks.

The MA900 is a fantastic pre. If you see your self being content with with an integrated going forward, than pull the trigger. You can always add an amp in the future if you get the itch to change things up.

My ONLY issue was the equalizer....I found my self constantly messing with it to get the right sound. And I'm a tone control guy! Simple bass and treble for me.

I sold my 9000 only because I missed my MC275VI.

Thanks for all replies so far! I own the C47/MC152 combo for about a year or so. No problems so far. I also owned a MA6900 and later a MA6600 before i switched to the combo.
Now i have the chance to get a brandnew MA9000 for a little additional charge. So i not sure what to do......

I can agree simple tone controls can be a lot easier to deal with and maybe a C-50 and a MA 9000 might have to many. I have a Graphic eq with 11 bands I use to correct recordings when dubbing analog and playing back CD reisssues of analog. For general listening the 5 controls of the C-34 are more than adequate. But with some recordings finer detail adjustments are necessary with analog recordings. Digital recordings seem to have improved over all so standard bass and treble are adequate 95 % of the time for me. So if you don't need 300 watts and only listen to recent digital maybe a MA 8900 would be a better choice. There almost as many choices available to you as opinions.

Is that the C47 you were having so much USB trouble with? Did you finally get that figured out? I personally like separates but if I had the choice I would go with the brand new 9000 for just a bit more coin and having the full EQ section is a very nice feature.
Yes that is the C47 but i figured out that my iMac causes the troubles with the USB connection (DSD256).

Not sure how anyone could dislike having a discrete, eight-band tone control that allows for advanced manual analog adjustment of your favorite recordings. To me, the MA9000 is a much better investment not only because you’re getting three things in one for 1/3 the cost of buying new separates, but it’ll have the same THD-0.005%, FR-20Hz to 20kHz, etc. (not to mention that your room will be less cluttered!). The MA9000 is probably the most beautiful [integrated] amplifier I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning and it never fails to deliver a colorless, musical experience.

Not sure where you're finding a MA9000 for 1/3 the cost of a new MC152 & C47 combo? If true, let me know where so I can pounce.

$10,500 is NOT 1/3 the price of a MC302 and C52 combo. If you have to have the 8-band tone controls, meters and 300W per channel, the MA9000 is the direct alternative to the MC302/C52. If you value flexibility over the one-box option, the MC302/C52 combo will run you about $2,000 more than the MA9000.

Last edited:
I was never arguing the superiority of either separates or integrated amps because it is indeed subjective. I was just pointing out that your statement comparing costs was in error. I didn't want prospective buyers to believe that they can actually buy a new McIntosh integrated amp for 1/3 the price of a comparable new McIntosh amp/preamp combo. McIntosh has never marketed that kind of product price point strategy. I'm just trying to provide accurate information to other McIntosh fans.

The MA9000 is undoubtedly a marvelous unit. However it’s also a bit of a Swiss Army Knife - which isn’t for everyone. There are arguments both ways for integrateds. The only other person that I know who owned one loved it, but already sold it to go back to separates.

The MA9000 is undoubtedly a marvelous unit. However it’s also a bit of a Swiss Army Knife - which isn’t for everyone. There are arguments both ways for integrateds. The only other person that I know who owned one loved it, but already sold it to go back to separates.
Swiss Army Knife!! I like that!!
The way my system is laid out I could not have the Swiss Army knife option.....wouldn't work...

My speakers are Unison Research MAX2 speakers

And a MCT450 Digital Transport and a Clearaudio Performance DC turntable

Wow, with the high sensitivity of those speakers, you'll barely have to move the volume knob on your MA9000 to make your ears bleed. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom