CA-1000 Class A Issues

Did as you suggested and sure enough no pops. So where should I look for problems? On the function board?

Does it pop with the tone switches centered in the "defeat" position?

no delay unless it pops which is a quick pop,pop followed by a click. I can see the relay click/pop off then click on again. All quickly

Check your pin outs on the 2SC458 / KSC1845 (ECB) . The 2SC458's in the power supply are to detect DC voltage from the amplifiers outputs and "reset" the protect relay if high DC voltage is detected. There should be a small delay before the relay " clicks".
If the 2SC458's were the "outhouse" shaped TO-92 it has a different pin out than the KSC1845. Looking at the flat,labeled identifier side of the C458 its ( BCE).
Also check over your work for possible solder bridges in that same area.

Last edited:
I use my Peak analyzer to confirm pin outs.
Here is a picture showing correct orientation.
I will pull the board out tomorrow and double check my work.17.JPG
I appreciate your patience.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it sure looks to me like you have at least 705 and 707 in wrong. Looks like you have the Collector inserted into the Base of 705 and also 707 (with the base inserted where it should actually be the collector). With the shadows I can't really tell 709 (perhaps same issue) and can't see the board markings for 706.

I will check that. Possible brain fart on installation.
Been busy today checking out a G-22000 I am about to acquire. Spent a good deal of time just looking and laughing at the size of it.

Yes, I did put the 1845's in wrong. So now no relay excitement. Got a bit of popping/crackling in both speakers from time to time.

Got a bit of popping/crackling in both speakers from time to time.
Both channels is most likely a regulated power supply issue.Transistor or diode most likely. Or a cold solder connection in the same circuits.

A quick rundown for the balance problem. Correct me if I'm wrong. We have tried a different volume/bal control, a different loudness control ,a different function board . Anything else that I missed ? Besides multiple switch cleanings.?

Last edited:
We have tried a different volume/bal control, a different loudness control ,a different function board . Anything else that I missed ?
No, except I pulled and cleaned the mode switch. And using a pre amp solves the problem.

Kind of narrows it down to the FILTER board or the TONE board.

am just wondering if anyone following this thread has a ca-100 and can confirm the balance is equal on their one .. i know lots of amps aren't exactly the same between channels .. but never really a massive amount .
when i have come across amps that are wildly different in balance the problem is around the loudness circuit .but will seem to even out at higher volumes .
a simple probe with a capacitor in-line will help to figure things out ..or as i said earlier jumping left to right signals at various places .. maybe start by jumping the inputs and leaving them jumped for now .
if i could edit pictures etc it would make it easier but would take me a long time ..

Well I opted to recap the tone board including the tants. I now have balanced volume,both sides even. Sweet!
Guess I should have done it sooner but how much fun and frustration would I have missed out on?
Still testing but great so far.
I appreciate everyone's advice and patience.
I am now down to three hairs .

Back
Top Bottom