CA-1010/2010 vs CR-1010/1020/2020/2040

belgianbrain

Practically speaking, is there any difference in sound quality between these?

I've been searching for a CA-2010, but can't find one but see plenty of receivers (2020) available.

I notice the receivers don't have the class A function.

The CA-2010 doesn't have to power a tuner so more is available for the amp section. Class A sounds marginally better but I always left mine in Normal mode for the full 120 watts. I'm not sure if the CA-2010 has the same service bulletin issues as the CR-2020.

Edit: The CR-1020 is nice but the CR-2020 has better tone controls. Forget about the CR-1040, it has STK's (IIRC).

Sitting here looking at the tone control boards from a 1020 and a 2020, only difference that I can see is the part number.:scratch2:

I have never heard the CA-2010 but I do have a CA-1010. For sheer sound quality if you want a rceiver, I would say hold out for a CR-2040. I have one and it is better than the CR-1000 (sorry, never was a CR-1010) and CR-1020 that passed through, though the CR-1000 was a beautiful, warm sounding piece and may fit the bill if looking for a more "vintage" sound.

A CA-1010 should not be that hard to find and they go for a lot less than the 2010. You can go the other way and keep an eye open for C-4/M-4 combos. Often cheaper than 2010s and superb.

Sir.Byrd, what do you mean you "had" a CR-2040? Don't tell me you got rid of it!

I have never heard the CA-2010 but I do have a CA-1010. For sheer sound quality if you want a rceiver, I would say hold out for a CR-2040. I have one and it is better than the CR-1000 (sorry, never was a CR-1010) and CR-1020 that passed through, though the CR-1000 was a beautiful, warm sounding piece and may fit the bill if looking for a more "vintage" sound.

A CA-1010 should not be that hard to find and they go for a lot less than the 2010. You can go the other way and keep an eye open for C-4/M-4 combos. Often cheaper than 2010s and superb.

Sir.Byrd, what do you mean you "had" a CR-2040? Don't tell me you got rid of it!

I was selling it on commission.

I liked it a lot, it was a little too lean on bass for it to stay though.

All of the receivers are bass lean including the CR-3020, IMO. The CA-2010 is decent but not good enough to earn a spot in my house. Sold both of mine.

For me the Yamahas can be somewhat bass shy or thin as some say.For that reason I use mine with older alnico speakers and for me it works in that fashion.The Sansui provides a more muscular or fuller sound for different types of speakers.I'm still auditioning a CA 1010 with both types of speakers.With that being said I still like Yamaha.I think they are very good sounding units.

I believe people find Yamaha units to be bass shy simply because everyone else boosts the bass, even in their so called 'flat' position. If you ever find yourself in the area drop in. I'll put the "Fanfare for the common man" on the CrystalClear label on the PX-2, crank up the 2040 all flat, and let the NS-690 Mk I sing. Then we can open a brew and talk about bass shy.:D

What's your prized amplifier?

Opinions vary about what is good bass. Every single CA and CR Yamaha I've owned needed some help and that includes the CR-2020, CR-2040, CR-3020, and CA-2010. Forget about the lower line models and I've owned a fair number of them. The only one that delivered decent bass was the R-2000 but the modules generate way too much heat. All are long gone.

My Kenwood L-09M takes the prize for sound. Not a fair fight but as nice looking as the Yamaha's are, I can't keep stuff I don't like. Oh, and for the record, I never use tone controls and if I can avoid it, I do not use preamps.

Last edited:
For me the Yamahas can be somewhat bass shy or thin as some say.For that reason I use mine with older alnico speakers and for me it works in that fashion.The Sansui provides a more muscular or fuller sound for different types of speakers.I'm still auditioning a CA 1010 with both types of speakers.With that being said I still like Yamaha.I think they are very good sounding units.

perhaps thats why i still respect the large whitecone fishers from the shitty era of fishers..
these speakers are known for having rolled off highs.. however with my yamaha gear, i found them to be great for dance music.. :banana:

I was listening to a CA1010 paired with L112s last night:beer: and man it sounded good.Never really used the Yamaha with JBL speakers.Didn't really hear any bass shyness.In fact it sounded clean and tight.A little different sound from what I am used to but I liked it a lot.:music:

I'm going to throw my two cents out here... I have a re-capped CA-1000 which I listen through stock EPI M150s and there is no lack of bottom end whatsoever. I have the 20 Hz and 12 kHz filters engaged and everything else flat.

It's possible that some amp/speaker combination might hype the low end in the "flat" and that might make Yamaha CA/CR sound "thin" by comparison but too much bass is un-natural sounding and Yamaha was clearly going for a natural sound with the "Natural Sound" series. The other thing too, is that low frequencies travel long distances -- particularly kick drums and people might say differently if they listened from further away.

Maybe that was a nickel.

No single piece or series or company will appeal to everyone, so we should just learn to live with the fact that not everyone will love any particular brand. Socal is not wild about Yamaha, Doug S. is not crazy about Tandberg tuners, I think Carver sucks. Worse has happened in the world of late.

As for myself, my 2040 is hooked up to a pair of speakers that are -2db at 20hz. No lack of bass there. On FM with the right feed the walls and floor shake, never mind what happens on a good CD. Thin? Not in my set up.

However, the CR-1000 and CA-1000 I tried had a warmer sound with more relative bass balance. It was less transparent. slower, less articulate, but if you think a CA-1010 or CR-2040 sounds thin, a CR/CA-1000 might just fit the bill.

Not all Yamaha sound identical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom