CA-1010 restoration/recap for The Fez

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by pete_mac, May 16, 2012.

1. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Hi all!

I usually hang around in the Sansui section mainly, but I recently had the privilege of working on a CA-1010 owned by 'The Fez'. She's a beauty and is in very very good condition for its age.

A peek under the cover:

[​IMG]

A pair of big 18000uf power supply filter caps:

[​IMG]

Note the level of detail here. The knobs on the front panel are connected to the switches on the actual PCB via metal rods and universal joints. The bean-counters wouldn't allow this kind of stuff these days!

[​IMG]

The underside of the amp:

[​IMG]

Some of the capacitors that will be going inside this sucker. Panasonic FC and FM caps, some Panasonic ECQ-V film caps, and also a bunch of Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps and Nichicon Gold Tune 22000uf power suppply filter caps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver boards are a bit of a pain in this model as the output transistors are mounted through the heatsink and into sockets on the driver board PCB. This necessitates the removal of the output transistors to access the rear of the driver boards. The upside is that there is no excuse for not fitting new thermal paste to each of the transistors when reinstalling them. The heatsinks look small in the pics but they are quite chunky with lots of thermal mass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One set of output transistors:

[​IMG]

New capacitors fitted to a driver board:

[​IMG]

The VD1212 diodes have also been replaced with a pair of series'd 1N4148 diodes which perform the same function and have the same voltage drop as the original VD1212s. These are more reliable and help to keep the bias rock-solid.

[​IMG]

The power supply/protection board has been fully recapped now.

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

The output transistors have been cleaned, re-greased and re-seated. The original paste was quite dry and flaky so I'm glad that I was 'forced' to reseat them due to the driver board/heatsink design. Although, I always do the thermal paste regardless, so it's a moot point. Note where the anodising has faded over time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lovely Nichicon Gold Tune caps are also now installed. The lugs on the caps required minor trimming to fit the PCB onto which they are mounted, but apart from judicious use of solderwick to remove the old solder (as well as me melting a bit of insulation on one of the orange wires... all fixed now though!) it was a fairly straight-forward job, albeit very time consuming! The fiddly stuff always takes far longer than anticipated, but of course the results are worth it. An AXON polypropylene bypass cap was installed across each of the filter caps for good measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

They sure are big suckers! Noticeably taller than the original capacitors.

Dad (skippy124) then undertook one of his LED conversions (fully reversible if required).

[​IMG]

The end result after cleaning the faceplate and knobs/switch covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KrautNotRice likes this.
  3. brutal

brutal YamaHoarder

Very, very nice.

Now, I haven't looked at the schematic, and it's been a while since I did mine, but I see "outhouse" shaped transistors there. If any of them are SC458, best to get them replaced now before they go noisy.

4. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Thanks!

I'll check, but I'm fairly certain that there were no troublesome SC458s to be found.

5. 4seatPilot

4seatPilot "Broker"

What's the recommended replacement?

6. 4seatPilot

4seatPilot "Broker"

Are you ready to tackle a 2010 now? I've acquired one on behalf of the 'The Fez' - and the plan is to ship it to him. Not sure I want to part with it though... it is beyond "good condition for it's age." You couldn't get a better one if you went back in time and bought it new. Pics will be in the Yamaha photo thread soon...

Last edited: May 16, 2012

7. vintageboy

vintageboy Spinning vinyl like there is no tomorrow

great post

8. brutal

brutal YamaHoarder

KSC1845 should be readily available. SC2240 if you can find them. There are plenty of SC458 replacement threads in many of the forums. Caution with orientation, the old style SC458 printing is opposite modern transistors. ECB is the same, but flipped (BCE). Read the datasheets!

9. pete_mac

pete_mac Super Member

Oooooh baby! Stephen mentioned this to me as I was about to recap his CA-810, but we have put this on-hold due to the possibility of sourcing a CA-2010.

Great stuff! :banana:

10. skippy124

skippy124 Super Member

Thankfully there are none of those in the CA-1010

I procured a couple of hundred 2SC2240's recently from a local supplier along with a quantity of the 2SA970 compliment for less than 10c each. Thought I'd stock up as the 2240's are no longer made.

Stephens 1010 turned out really well, and Pete did a great job on the recap.

And I know Stephen is super excited about the CA-2010:banana:

Cheers

John

11. 4seatPilot

4seatPilot "Broker"

Noted! Will print and file... with a post-it on the bench to remind me. ;)

12. 4seatPilot

4seatPilot "Broker"

Well don't get too anxious! I'd like the chance to listen to the 2010 here for a bit! :music: It's gorgeous. But you knew that I'm sure... (pics are in the yamaha photo thread)

13. matteguzman

matteguzman New Member

That looks niiiice.

14. The Fez

The Fez Well-Known Member

John and Pete do super work on these restorations....Very happy with the results.

15. OvenMaster

OvenMaster RIP Mommy 1935-2018 Subscriber

This looks like first class work. I really should tackle my own one o' these days.
    Well done... and I'm saving this whole page for reference.

Tom

16. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

There shouldn't be any 2SC458's in the CA-2010.

17. stevepe

stevepe Active Member

But what if there were? :D :D

Seriously– if it's not more than mildly off topic, Avionics, do you have a recommendation for a replacement? Do you recommend replacement? I bet 4seatpilot would like to know, too. Our CR-820's have a couple of these.

I really appreciate the other transistor replacement recommendations you gave me which are now powering my receiver.

KSC1845 and2SC2240 have been mentioned.

Thanks,
    Steve

And I'm following this thread with intense interest, contemplating a first try at a recap. Very beneficial.

18. skippy124

skippy124 Super Member

Iv'e used the 2SC2240's without any issues, they are fine as a replacement for the 2SC458's (and there aren't any 2SC458's in the CA-1010)

Cheers

John

19. pradigmshift

pradigmshift Active Member

Looks amazing, good job!

20. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Either one.Both are very good and ultra low noise.The KSC's are available at Mouser--My main shopping center.