CA-303 comes to the Lab for some TLC.

kevzep

Its all about the Music
I have always been impressed with the features of this pre-amp especially considering how old they are, however due to the rarity of them I thought I'd never see one.
But then, one comes to my Lab for some work.
It has an active 3 way crossover, with 18db/oct filters. Pretty cool for the time I have to say!!

Its had some work done, some caps replaced, the work is a little average, so I will have to sort that out and clean it up a bit.

Couple of pics.....

Im looking forward to getting this one running in its full former glory...
IMG_6205.JPG IMG_6206.JPG IMG_6207.JPG

Yeah its really well built and full featured, the crossover section is very cool....Sansui were really onto it when they made this pre-amp..

Nice unit Kev. I love mine. I asked my tech what he thought of the design. He said it was like Sansui gave their engineers carte blanche to build a system they would want to own. Cant wait to see what you do with it. Were the tubes in the correct location? I have seen some backwards since the location is only given in the service manual. Maybe you can mark the picture for the correct tube order. Then were all on the same page LOL. Did you check out the quality of the volume pot yet? Its looks high end. Its nice to check in with you Sansui guys. Fever

Nice unit Kev. I love mine. I asked my tech what he thought of the design. He said it was like Sansui gave their engineers carte blanche to build a system they would want to own. Cant wait to see what you do with it. Were the tubes in the correct location? I have seen some backwards since the location is only given in the service manual. Maybe you can mark the picture for the correct tube order. Then were all on the same page LOL. Did you check out the quality of the volume pot yet? Its looks high end. Its nice to check in with you Sansui guys. Fever
It will be a little while before I get to it, I have quite a bit of other work on right now including a Pioneer SX1250 I have a big job on....But I will be sure too document what I do...
I am really keen to see how well it performs...

Last edited:
Looking forward to learning what you do with it. I have one in for a restoration as well. Really looking forward to getting it back and in service. The quality of the build is truely impressive.

I have always wanted one of these. What's not to like... a fancy sansui tube preamp with interesting features.... stuff into an AU777 case. Actually does it seem the same size as a 777?

Good eye on size, same witdth and height, CA-303 case is 2 inches less deep. Same weigh, 22lbs. The CA-303 does have a nicer vent on the case.

IMG_0324.JPG

Looking forward to learning what you do with it. I have one in for a restoration as well. Really looking forward to getting it back and in service. The quality of the build is truely impressive.
I'm going to try not to mess with it any more than I have to, someone has put some "exotic" caps in it, and not done a very good soldering job, so I will tidy all that up, replace all the electro caps, and clean all the switches. Apparently the oscillator isn't working, and a few other functions, so we'll see how we go....
I'll test all the tubes and assess whats going on there, whether they need replacing, what type they are whether they're in the right positions and the correct type, a lot of people like to veer away from the factory spec and put other tubes in because "someone said it improves the sound".....often this is not a good idea...
So there's a bit to look at...

Awesome. Someone listed a 100VAC version of this on trademe last year I think? I was going to watchlist it and then trademe in its infinite wisdom withdrew it (as it needs to be NZ voltage to be legal to sell in NZ).

Awesome. Someone listed a 100VAC version of this on trademe last year I think? I was going to watchlist it and then trademe in its infinite wisdom withdrew it (as it needs to be NZ voltage to be legal to sell in NZ).
Thats such horseshit that rule, people will sell it anyway.....
Shouldn't make any difference at all, I suspect its a Trademe rule rather than a law in NZ...

There was also a client of mine who was selling something which was 240V but someone asked if it was NZ voltage and he replied "Yes but is still has the two conductor plug", trademe took his listing down....
They are becoming like everything else in NZ, started out as a great resource but they have got greedy with their Success fees, and becoming trivial...

Shouldn't make any difference at all, I suspect its a Trademe rule rather than a law in NZ...
Its a complete patronising pain in the arse. Its the Health and Safety Electrical Regulations 2010. One of those requirements is that an electrical item is "deemed to be unsafe" legally if its sold without having a NZ mains plug fitted.

Those regulations are total horseshit and have been creating multiple problems at my workplace. One requirement is that all NEW equipment (ie: in this case, computers) need to be tested and tagged to be legally deemed safe, otherwise they are "unsafe." My workplace estimates this inclusion of "new" equipment into the T&T regime will cost another $20K - to achieve....what? testing of gear that is new and already made to far higher standards than NZ's?

So trademe wont allow you to list an item without having a NZ plug fitted - and thats its firm rule. It does my head in. So maybe a way around it is to take a 100VAC piece of gear and fit a NZ power plug to it, then it complies with the Regulations! How safe would that be when you plug it in!!!!!!

Muppets.

Its a complete patronising pain in the arse. Its the Health and Safety Electrical Regulations 2010. One of those requirements is that an electrical item is "deemed to be unsafe" legally if its sold without having a NZ mains plug fitted.

Those regulations are total horseshit and have been creating multiple problems at my workplace. One requirement is that all NEW equipment (ie: in this case, computers) need to be tested and tagged to be legally deemed safe, otherwise they are "unsafe." My workplace estimates this inclusion of "new" equipment into the T&T regime will cost another $20K - to achieve....what? testing of gear that is new and already made to far higher standards than NZ's?

So trademe wont allow you to list an item without having a NZ plug fitted - and thats its firm rule. It does my head in. So maybe a way around it is to take a 100VAC piece of gear and fit a NZ power plug to it, then it complies with the Regulations! How safe would that be when you plug it in!!!!!!

Muppets.
It would be hilarious if it wasn't such a pain in the arse!! Yes damned Muppets!!

But who is regulating me selling something privately with a USA plug on it?? Like almost everything in NZ, its just laughable...

Back
Top Bottom