CA 800 recovery

My bad, trying to do some clinic work and this at same time. Meant, Transistor case. I can keep 206 bones, miles of arteries and veins, but can't keep my brain from saying resistors from transistors (yet). Thanks for clarification. "Do as I think, not as I say"!

It lives again!!!!! Thank you Avionics for the push in the right direction. The Socratic method is often best (except when dealing with really high voltage). You pointed out that it would not come out of protection due to the 9 plus V at output.
I went back over the circuits and the problem pointed to the power circuit board. Went back over my soldering and redid the C711 and C715 joints. C711 had lifted the trace, so was probably the culprit. Also touched up one of the replaced transistors. Rechecked voltages at Main Amp board Sp Out, B-, B+, C, S, B, and A and all have improved and balanced Left to Right. Also, no more 9 volts at L side Sp output.
DBT was dimmer, and finally the relay came out of protection.

Plugged it straight in and fired it up (almost literally). VR603 and VR604 way out of spec. Could have cooked eggs on the heat sinks. Quickly worked through the main amp adjustments and brought all back into SM specs. Checked through several times and remembered to power off switching from AB to A class.

Disconnected the B-2, connected this one and heard that old sweet sound again. First listen was U2's Rattle and Hum. Couldn't crank it up as the guy in the apartment upstairs was sleeping.

This is a great site and the years of experience are phenomenal. Thank you to those who responded to this post and to the countless others on other posts used during my search. This is way cool.

Back
Top Bottom