CA2000 Pre and BA2000 Power Amp

djdstone

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but I love all things Sansui.

I currently own an AU-517 which I love. I'm also thinking of buying a CA2000/BA2000 to use in my main system. I'm using a pair of Monitor Audio SE20's and they sound great with the AU -517 - does anybody own the CA2000/BA2000 and can coment on the sound?

That would make it just about the least you could improve and possibly hear some difference. The AU-517 is a nice 65 wpc. The BA-2000 110 wpc.
It should be 'better,' but still provide a family sound. The sound should be a bit more open with the extra oomph. We're talking roughly the same SPL you listen to, now. You're not going to have much increase at peak volume, just a bit better control of the sound.
Does that make sense? You're stepping up about 2-1/2dBW, but with better control that the amp provides. The difference will be real, but will not be much different.
But, I'd go for it. ;)

The BA-3000 was a huge step up from the smaller, less powerful BA style amps that Sansui previously made which looked like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3081802431&category=39783

The seller might be interested to know the unit he's actually selling dates to August 69 (Woodstock, Yeah baby!, Peace, love, and all things groovy).

The fact that Sansui went from the BA-90, BA-60..., and then unleashed the huge, Monster 300W BA-5000 in 1975 is astonishing to me. And an amp like that CAN power the sound system at Woodstock!

The BA-2000/CA-2000 came out a little later in '77 and they are both excellent & highly recommended.

Nice to see some British Sansui enthusiasts, seemed to me from my impression that the folks in England werent all that gung-ho on Sansui audio equipment as, say in Germany.

B/F

Originally posted by BeatleFred
Nice to see some British Sansui enthusiasts, seemed to me from my impression that the folks in England werent all that gung-ho on Sansui audio equipment as, say in Germany.
They times they are a changin' :)
I think Japanese gear (kit ;) ) used to get pretty rough treatment from the Brit audio press. Not perhaps surprising as the UK had (and has) a thriving audio industry - and audio was one of the few British industrial success stories of the 70s.
What is now vintage Japanese gear doesn't pose a threat anymore so it can be easily ignored by the mainstream audio press, and is easy and cheap to explore and be surprised by.

Back
Top Bottom