Cables are "Farcical" ????

Thanks! Note also that the example only looks at resistance. Capacitance and inductance also play roles. I'd guess that resistance would have the largest effect, but the other two won't be entirely silent.

I think decent quality well-shielded cables are important, and I'm willing to pay up for them compared to the cheap stuff. I also think that price isn't a determiner of what any quality cable will sound like in your system. Electrical characteristics and system interractions are the determiners, and AFAIK, no one has developed any means at all of predicting the outcome of any particular setup.

That's right, we're back to the old rule of plug it in and listen carefully, realizing that with the frailty of human memory, you won't be able to pinpoint the difference ten minutes later. Is it any wonder there's no agreement on cables?

this thread has been a fascinating read.....I guess my two cents come from a background in biological chemisty. For 9 pages, I have read a lot about the electronics but virtually nothing about the physiology of hearing. Further, virtually nothing about the effect of the mind on the perception of heard sounds. Hence, to me, it seems perfectly logical that someone who sank thousands of dollars into cable is going to hear a difference simply from the will of the mind, alone. I, on the other hand, can't see how anyone can state that anything so straightforward as wire can 'always' sound superior to others. At least the common goal of all is, ultimately, the enjoyment of the music(or, at least I would hope). And that, always, is such an individual set of priorities that differences from person to person are guaranteed. Where do I fall in the whole cable debate? I figure that my music collection would expand by a few thousand more LPs and CD's before I plunked down $10,000 or more for wire. Different strokes, and all that......:music:

That's right, we're back to the old rule of plug it in and listen carefully, realizing that with the frailty of human memory, you won't be able to pinpoint the difference ten minutes later. Is it any wonder there's no agreement on cables?

I'll have to disagree with your comment. Auditory memory is much better than some folks give it credit for.

How is it that you can recognize a voice you haven't heard for a few months within 2-5 seconds on a low- fi telephone? That's a wee bit more than 10 minutes.

How is it that you can recognize a voice you haven't heard for a few months within 2-5 seconds on a low- fi telephone? That's a wee bit more than 10 minutes.

Knew this was going to come up but it's not the same thing.

I can't find the references that dispelled this popular argument and I can't properly explain why.

Unfortunately the easiest way to find it was lost due to some database problems on another forum I visit.

And no, not convenient that it's lost. It's quite inconvenient, actually...

Finally, I have unquestionable, unbiased proof that quality cableing makes a huge difference. Before I changed the interconnects, speaker wire and power cords, my CAT would run and hide every time I would put on a Linda Ronstadt album. I even had stickers on the cd case which said Muffy hates this. Today she came up next to me while Linda was singing at full volume and listened to the entire album. Muffy, like her father, knows that the scientific analysis plays a distant second to what we actually hear as audiophiles and cats.

Finally, I have unquestionable, unbiased proof that quality cableing makes a huge difference. Before I changed the interconnects, speaker wire and power cords, my CAT would run and hide every time I would put on a Linda Ronstadt album. I even had stickers on the cd case which said Muffy hates this. Today she came up next to me while Linda was singing at full volume and listened to the entire album. Muffy, like her father, knows that the scientific analysis plays a distant second to what we actually hear as audiophiles and cats.

I think you should publish this in Scientific American. :yes:

:lmao: .....as good a test as any, I suppose! My dog seems contented with the sound, and I get by with 14 GA Philips speaker wire, although I did rewire the tonearm with Cardas, and replaced a couple of, um, vintage power cords.
Then again, he is a dog, so contentment is pretty much a given.:D

I think most fellows are always looking for Muffy approval. :thmbsp:

Muffy the audiocat :yes:

Finally some concrete proof

Something to fight off the scientists and soothsayers :banana::banana:

Well I guess this is the end of the discussion forever here on AK and anywhere else in the world. Thank your cat for me.

Funny this should be posted. I just got new (to me) speaker cables last weekend. (DH Labs Silver Sonic Q-10's) and now my cat too comes and sits with me while I'm listening. He always would avoid the living room when the stereo was on before. This morning, he actually stayed on the couch with the system blaring hard bop jazz while I was in the other room. (I shit-you-not) ---Strange and unprecedented behavior. I'd say our two reports constitute a double-blind test with 100% positive results!

Back
Top Bottom