Cables? What Brand/Model do you use?

joeinid

I'm not looking for trouble :angel: but curious what you guys are using and why?

After rearranging my gear, I went to different brands/models of cables that are shorter in length.

Long story short, no pun intended, the sound is different.

I'll save the results for later after some cable swaps. Later tonight I will go back to what I was using. I'll see if what I hear now is better or worse than what I had before. It's certainly different.

Thoughts?

I use Straight Wire interconnects and generic 10 or 12 AWG speaker cables with whatever generic banana plugs I find on Amazon. I use Straight Wire because I can custom make whatever size I want easily and the price is about the same as any nice mid-level interconnect.

Vintage Audioquest Ruby for most interconnects and some bare 12 ga Monster cable for speakers run as biwire.

jblnut

I’m enjoying Belden 8402 and/or Duelund between components and my speaker cable right now is Audioquest but I love Avanti Audio too.

All Morrow cables, with the exception of a Linn Black on my AR turntable. The Linn Cable was quieter than the Morrow was on the AR table.

I use Wireworld here including power, RCA, HDMI, optical, ethernet and USB.

My speaker cables are Acoustic Zen.

I have made my interconnects using Canare star quad mic cable and Canare F-9 narrow RCA connectors. F-9's work on vintage as well as new gear. They are ultra quiet and I can make them to any length I need.

My speaker cables I made out of 12AWG control cable with soldered banana connectors. I needed to make 4 cables because I use an active crossover on my speakers.

I used to think cable could not affect sound until I made a set of interconnects for my TT. I made them longer than original so I could put the TT in another place. When I played the first LP I knew something was wrong. The sound was so lifeless I thought it was a bad recording so I tried another LP. One I'm really familiar with. Same story so I cut the length down ot original length and the sound was back to normal. So evidently capacitance really matters on low output devices.

Various brands of interconnects, Tara Labs Prism speaker wires. Just because that is what I bought through the years.

mostly mid-level AQ, and Morrow for phono

speaker cables are homebrew at the moment, Kimber 8TC on the radar

I used self made cabling for a couple decades before I went with the Zu. I've gotten to the point that I want to fuss less and just play the music before I get too old and out of it to enjoy.

My spendy cables are Kimber PBJ. I use them for all of my balanced sources (save my Otari) and from preamp to amps. For that, it's a pretty long run so I made my own with Belden 4-ch snake cable and Neutrik XLRs. [This also allowed me to address the pin 2 / 3 reversal with respect to the C200.] I've also got a ton of home made stuff - mostly made from Phoenix Gold or Rockford bulk cable with matching ends.

Recently, I bought a dbx 3BX III processor. The only short cables that I had left were some of those 99c jobbies that you get free with a piece of gear. So, I hooked it up with those just to try it out. Damned if I could hear any sonic degradation when switching the processor in and out. Then, I realized something . . . Anyone that owns a McIntosh (or other preamp) with a Listen Processor loop can simply connect an RCA cable from IN to OUT and switch it IN and OUT from the comfort of your listening position. Who dares do it?

Lets see

I have all Tributaries Series 6 XLR between the D100 to the C100
The Marantz PMD580 digital recorder/player to and from the C100
From the C100 to the MC501s, One pair Tributaries Series 8 XLR to the two MC275s

Two pairs of AQ Mackenzie RCA going the the VAC tube amps on the floor.

Kimber Kable Hero's RCA WBT 004 from all three Turntable SOTA Head Amps to the C100, and one pair between one tables arm and head amp.

A tributaries optical for the Audioengne D2

One Bi-wire set of Kimber Kables, and two pairs of Rocket 33 for speakers.

Started making my own power cords for some amps and ML speakers.

That covers this area

IMG_1015 10.33.49 PM.jpg

I have a Kimber Kable Hero's RCA WBT 004 coaxel running form this wall to another where I have a TV, CDP and a Pre-pro as a digital hub. Also thats where my Otari MX5050 BIII-2 is at.

IMG_0818.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom