Cal FireStorms

Al roker told me the other day its the warmest ever. Of course I missed the actual report as I was out shoveling the fresh, earliest snowfall...He also told me that the fall is the warmest on record, even tho our region has averaged 10-15 degrees below 'normal' since Oct 5. So, I personally dont care much about any GW messages cuz, damn Im cold and I have to look after my own.

Perhaps the decrease in firestorms in the US had something to do with FDR's Conservation Corps CCC "fight all fires" campaign?
tot-ac-bur.jpg

IMHO, they should have named the Paradise firestorm 'Camp Creek'. Camp Fire sounds contrite, and trivial to me.

The 911 dispatchers and firefighters name fires based on location. This one started on Camp Creek Road.

Please excuse yourself from what is my business. The choice I make is my own.
On the news this morning they showed a guy who had the only house standing in a neighborhood. He bought a generator that would run his well. He had one sprinkler on the roof of his house and a garden hose in his hand to keep his house wet enough to fend off the fire. And it was a real fire.

On the news this morning they showed a guy who had the only house standing in a neighborhood. He bought a generator that would run his well. He had one sprinkler on the roof of his house and a garden hose in his hand to keep his house wet enough to fend off the fire. And it was a real fire.

I live in the Santa Monica mountains east of the Woolsey Fire burn area. Been here forever and have thought this through many times. Santa Ana's blow southwest. There is vegetation fuel upslope and downwind from my home, factors in my favor. I have unregulated water lines in the front and rear of my home. There is enough water pressure to reach the tops of the trees behind my home. There is more than enough water pressure to soak my house and the dirt around my house. I'll take my chance.

I live in the Santa Monica mountains east of the Woolsey Fire burn area. Been here forever and have thought this through many times. Santa Ana's blow southwest. There is vegetation fuel upslope and downwind from my home, factors in my favor. I have unregulated water lines in the front and rear of my home. There is enough water pressure to reach the tops of the trees behind my home. There is more than enough water pressure to soak my house and the dirt around my house. I'll take my chance.
Nonflammable roofing and siding?

To actually try to remove it would take a bulldozer, and create huge brush piles

All the rain yall have had last two years it was pretty evident after the first spring there would be a disastrous fire. All the homeless people could have and should have been put to work keeping the growth down. No excuse for this. None.

It's quite astounding such a fierce fire(bel-air) was so well contained, really so little area burned under fire alert conditions!
Good job!

As kids, we learned of the Chumash Indians (local natives to where I grew up in L.A.). We were taught of how they'd use the Santa Ana winds to burn off large areas of chaparral, to clear way for hunting terrain in the following spring greening with new grasses coming in in burned off areas; attracting deer.
I have workedd with the local native northern San Diego tribes in recording an original concerto composition by a phd in their cultural studies, and local tribe member. In our time spent, I asked him if what we'd been taught as white kids in L.A. were true, regarding the burning of chaparral, and he confirmed it to me.
This weather phenomenon is as old as the hills that it burns every year. I'm not doubting the impact of global warming, but, the regularity of fires like this goes back millenia.

All the rain yall have had last two years it was pretty evident after the first spring there would be a disastrous fire. All the homeless people could have and should have been put to work keeping the growth down. No excuse for this. None.

All the rain?
We're deeply in drought, at least in SoCal. Our last solid rains were around two years+ ago (referring to a whole seasonal period of rains), when we had an El Niño condition. After that, we have dried up. We did get over an inch, a month ago or so. That was really nice. But, as evidenced, it didn't make any difference in the fires.

I've weighed this out in my mind a million times. I'd likely do the same. I've got plenty of open area around me if things get too thick. I've got 1" lines to the rear of my property. I've also got 3/4" hose (far larger than the normal 5/8"), and 3/4" fire nozzle ends; sounds insignificant in size, but it is a huge difference.
My neighbor works for the water district, and has suggested numerous times that the water that we get is siphon feed from a nearby reservoir, and will continue to flow in fires (has in the past, and should do so again).
In 2007, there were intense fires here, and, the fire dep't chose to camp out in a field right across the street from me. Why? That is where the only fire hydrant in a quarter mile or more, and it is fed by the same siphon feed that I'm on. The bummer part of talking to my neighbor about the water feed arrangement,.... I found out that I have a 20" water main that crosss under my driveway, and it makes a right angle turn right there, and then heads to that hydrant (actually a bleeder valve).

So, yep, I'd likely stick it out, rather than to sit in a traffic jam, and risk being cooked in my car waiting for the traffic to move.

Back
Top Bottom