Califone 1430K Platter Brake linkage?

Johnny_Law

AK Member
Subscriber
Trying to get this CaliFone going. The linkage holding the platter brake has come undone and I can't figure out how it was connected. I've been looking at it too long and need another pair of eyes!

It's supposed to engage the brake at the 0 RPM setting, and disengage it on all other settings. But there's no clear place to hook it up, nor are there any places that seem to move towards the brake at the 0 RPM position while moving away at all other positions.

I can't find any actual images of how it's supposed to be connected. Any ideas?

IMG_20170720_202243743_HDR.jpg

I did find a service manual, "Califone 14Xx Series Phonographs" which does have one image of the brake arm and the "steel-wire tie rod" in question, which I've cut and copied below, but this configuration seems different than the 1430K since it doesn't work. Or maybe I just messed it up?

Califone 14Xx Series Phonographs .BrakeArmView.jpg

Other things I've read thus far in the course of my pre-posting diligence:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=280910
http://www.schematicsforfree.com/ar...les/Califone_Phonograph_Motor_Information.pdf

Last edited:
Back up. Scratched my head over it again tonight for a little while, no closer to figuring it out.

IMG_20170720_202916833.jpg

Was excited to see this video of a 1420K with the brake wire in place, but upon comparison to the 1430K, it's not the same.

Last edited:
Back up. Almost got it working - problem is the brake lever's spring is way too strong.

Would REALLY love any pictures of a working 1430K under the platter!!!!!!!

Resolved the problem - the brake lever spring and the idler wheel spring had been swapped. The stronger spring should be on the idler wheel, and the weaker spring should be on the brake arm. After I corrected their placement, I could connect the wire as shown in my first post, and the idler wheel no longer jammed against the pivot point. Instead, it gets held to the inside of the platter with more force, which gives it enough traction to bring the table up to speed and hold it.

Solved!

Johnny_Law, how about seeing RadioTVPhonoNut's YouTube videos on the Califone and other school phonos, he's expert on repairing these, and knows these mechanisms inside out. He's a VideoKarma.org member (the TV and video sister site to AK) and is on the Vintage Phonographs subforum a lot. He's friendly and helpful, and can assist you on this.

Trying to get this CaliFone going. The linkage holding the platter brake has come undone and I can't figure out how it was connected. I've been looking at it too long and need another pair of eyes!

It's supposed to engage the brake at the 0 RPM setting, and disengage it on all other settings. But there's no clear place to hook it up, nor are there any places that seem to move towards the brake at the 0 RPM position while moving away at all other positions.

I can't find any actual images of how it's supposed to be connected. Any ideas?

MBGxbox.jpg

I did find a service manual, "Califone 14Xx Series Phonographs" which does have one image of the brake arm and the "steel-wire tie rod" in question, which I've cut and copied below, but this configuration seems different than the 1430K since it doesn't work. Or maybe I just messed it up?

oOYv83Ll.jpg

Other things I've read thus far in the course of my pre-posting diligence:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=280910
http://www.schematicsforfree.com/ar...les/Califone_Phonograph_Motor_Information.pdf
Any chance I can see these pics? I’m having the same problem. The brake seem to be applied and can’t figure out where the tension comes from to relieve it. As if it is stuck in the Pause position. It worked fine for years but has sat for a couple and been moved around.

I found some old pics - edited the posts to attach them directly. Let me know if helpful.

Also took these pics, no idea where they fit chronologically...

IMG_20170716_221400217_HDR.jpg

\IMG_20170720_202854647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170720_202957491_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170720_203012373.jpg

Back
Top Bottom