California Audio Labs (CAL) CD Players

Guy's I'm having a little problem with my Icon, the Ribbon cable that goes from
the Main board to the front transport board are shot any ideas on replacing these
guys.

Tube

Tube.... did you try to contact Approved Audio Service via E-Mail at repair@approvedaudioservice.com ?

Beyond that, you might be looking at having to build a custom ribbon cable. Not sure how many pins the connector is, but you should be able to take some computer ribbon cable and build something up. Guess the key is the connector interface. :scratch2:

Last edited:
Yes I did, there no parts for that, and they recommended rebuilding it like you
said. I might do that find some ribbon cable or the such and rebuild it.

Tube

I had a CAL audio labs d/a converter with a single tube in it. Unfortunately I bought it on ebay in 2003? And it was damaged in shipment and had to go back. I never got to hear it.

Hey guys- looking at venturing into the heretofore (for me) virgin world of DACs.

I have a line on a used CAL Sigma II and was just looking for any input you might be willing to share on that specific piece?

Thanks for any help/ suggestions you can offer!

Hey guys- looking at venturing into the heretofore (for me) virgin world of DACs.

I have a line on a used CAL Sigma II and was just looking for any input you might be willing to share on that specific piece?

Thanks for any help/ suggestions you can offer!
It's an excellent DAC that uses a single 12AX7 tube in the output stage to give a little of the tube magic. Since the 12AX7 is a fairly common tube and the Sigma II uses only one, you can have some fun with tube rolling without costing an arm and a leg (unless you get into the rarer NOS stuff).

I have an Icon with a bad laser(does not read Cds anymore) How difficult is to change the laser assembly?

CAL Tercet mk III

I have been using a CAL Tercet mk III, found locally a short time ago.
Although not a tubed model it has been playing it through a Yaqin MS 12b and Akai M8 monoblocks and into a pair of Altec Model 14's.

Very smooth and warm.
The soundstage is incredibly wide with great depth and height and extremely accurate.
Pinpoint accuracy. Really nice.
A nice compliment to the huge headspace and detail provided by the Altecs and Akai M8's.

It's staying in the budget tube system.
Which is sounding far better than it has any right to.

Art

Just picked up an Icon for $5 at the GW. Open/Close button is wonky, and the drawer won't open, but the display lights up. Might be a parts unit, but probably worth the investment. ;)

Got it working. :banana: One of the legs of the plastic spring behind the open/close button was broken, super-glued it together, and to the panel. Should hold for a few more years. Playing CD's fine now.

Nudies. Not your Chinese craptastic guts, for sure.

1354028534744.jpg

1354028649350.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on a fine score!

I wish I still owned the Icon II I bought in the '90s. I remember my gf at the time asking me if it also gave head for its exorbitant price! :D

Had a CAL Icon MKII for awhile, replaced it with a CAL CL-10 multidisk which I still have.

I purchased what was left of Cal Audio 7 years ago.

I was the operations manager for GoVideo, the last company that owned Cal Audio. When the Chinese company (TCL) purchased GoVideo, I put together a deal to buy what was left of Cal Audio.
Cal has an interesting history. The three brothers that owned Cal went on to purchase Adcom some 10-12 years ago and moved it to Arizona. This was no surprise since Dan, the engineer brother, designed many Adcom pieces including the GCD-750 which is the same as the Cal CL-15. He also designed units for Arcam, and Blaupunkt.

Last edited:
Sempai I too owned a Tercet MK3, a very good player, well built and sounded fantastic. One of those players I wish I had never sold. It put to shame many more costly players in the day, I traded a Denon DCD3300 in on mine at the time, which was one of Denon's top of the line players, and compared to the Cal, no contest, the Tercet pretty much smoked it. Have to say, the Denon was built like the proverbial brick shithouse though. Tim

I just found an Icon mkII Power Boss (HDCD) at Value Village today for $20.00. I'll be keeping this one for sure. It has a very warm, analog sound to it. :music:

I just found an Icon mkII Power Boss (HDCD) at Value Village today for $20.00. I'll be keeping this one for sure. It has a very warm, analog sound to it. :music:

Let me be the first to say "you suck"! ;)

They pull in $200-$300 in todays market. Nice scroe! :thmbsp:

I bought an Icon Mk.II with HDCD on a whim to use as a transport...and ended up preferring the analogue outs to the Benchmark DAC1 I was using at the time! That started a flurry of digital source upgrading...

Despite the fact that I never spin CDs anymore (everything's on the computer), I find it hard to imagine getting rid of that darn CAL since it just sounds so good...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom