California Audio Labs (CAL) CD Players

I hear ya Jeff... I played mine as a transport through the "Dual 24Bit Burr Brown's" on my NAD T775HD and the CAL's 20Bit Burr Brown PCM1702 is soooooo much smoother.

I'm contemplating stepping my BD up to a Cambridge Audio 751BD, but I bet the Redbook's will still get spun on that CAL... amazing player in my book! :thmbsp:

Use my CAL Alpha everyday... Mmmm love the noise it makes. Don't play CDs anymore so the Delta is long gone. My first "Audiophile" CD was a used Icon MkII

CL-15 was a superb player in its day. I'd like to know why the company folded. Their components were very popular in the mid-1990s.

A CAL Tercet was the first "high end boutique" CDP I could afford. I was very happy with that player for over a decade before it died... I liked it so much, I still have it. Just can't bear to toss it even though I know it's not worth repairing. I would love to get another, or better yet an Aria someday.

CAL Ikon Mk II

I have been a happy owner of a CAL Ikon Mk II since before 2000 (I can't recall exactly when I got this), and it is still my sole digital source. The only part of my system that is older is my Vandersteen 2C speakers, which I also love. I have had to repair the CAL Ikon a couple of times, however, and think that it's probably time for me to replace this with a PC based system. Any thoughts on a player and/or DAC with similar sound/value? Anyone compare this to an Oppo 105?

I am thankful to have found a remote for the Icon mkII HDCD that I purchased not too long ago. Not an original CAL remote, but it works perfectly!

Hi Jon, here's a listing of the DAC's and Transports used on all of the CAL units. I also posted pictures of the Panasonic RAE0113Z drive.

California Audio Labs Alpha
CS4328-KP – CS8412-CP
It’s a DAC

California Audio Labs Aria
TDA1541A – SAA7220
CDM-2 / CDM-4/11

California Audio Labs Aria Delta
TDA1541 – SAA7220P/A
CDM-2

California Audio Labs Aria mk III
2 x PCM58P-K
SOAD70A

California Audio Labs CL-10
2 x PCM1702 – PMD100
Matsushita

California Audio Labs CL-15
2 x PCM1702 – PMD100
Matsushita

California Audio Labs CL-20
2 x PCM1702 – PMD100
DVD

California Audio Labs Delta
It’s a Transport
Panasonic RAE0113Z

California Audio Labs DX-1
MN66271
Panasonic RAE0113Z

California Audio Labs Gamma
PCM1710U – CS8412-CP
It’s a DAC

California Audio Labs Icon
2 x PCM61P – SM5813AP – MN6625
SOAD70A

California Audio Labs Icon mk II
2 x PCM61P – SM5813APT – CS8412-CP
Panasonic RAE0113Z

California Audio Labs Icon mk II HDCD
2 x PCM1702 – PMD100
Panasonic RAE0113Z

California Audio Labs Sigma
CS4328-KP – CS8412-CP
It’s a DAC

California Audio Labs Sigma II
CS4328-KP – CS8412-CP
It’s a DAC

California Audio Labs Sigma II 96/24
PCM1728E – CS8414-CS
It’s a DAC

California Audio Labs Tempest
2 x TDA1540 – SAA7030
CDM-2

California Audio Labs Tempest II
TDA1541 – SAA7220P/A
CDM-4/11

California Audio Labs Tercet
TDA1541A – SAA7220P/B
CDM-2 / CDM-4/11

California Audio Labs Tercet mk III
2 x AD1860N-J – SM5813AP
SOAD70A

California Audio Labs Tercet mk IV
2 x PCM63P-K – SM5813AP – YM3623B
Panasonic RAE0113Z

Thought I would add this info for CAL CL-20 & CL-25 owners out there.

CL-25 is identical to CL-20 ( 2 x PCM1702 – PMD100) only CL-25 adds component video output.
Transport is Matshushita, transport assy is VMK-0433, laser pickup assy is VED 0378.

Thought I would add this info for CAL CL-20 & CL-25 owners out there.

CL-25 is identical to CL-20 ( 2 x PCM1702 – PMD100) only CL-25 adds component video output.
Transport is Matshushita, transport assy is VMK-0433, laser pickup assy is VED 0378.

Thanks Mondial... I updated the original listing with your details! :thmbsp:

Thanks Mondial... I updated the original listing with your details! :thmbsp:

The info I posted only applies to the CL-20 & CL-25 which used the Matsushita DVD transport. The CL-10 & CL-15 used a CD transport and I am unsure which one they used. Thx for updating the list.

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the part number of the laser in the California Audio Labs CD player model CL-15? It stopped working and need to change it. Thanks

Hi,
Does anyone know what is the part number of the laser in the California Audio Labs CD player model CL-15? It stopped working and need to change it. Thanks

Your probably going to have to disassemble the player and get the model number off of the transport mechanism. If your lucky the laser or cable assy going to the laser will have a part number on it. If you figure it out be sure to update the site here for future CAL owners.

I didn't see the iconic CAL Genesis listed on this thread, great performance in a robustly attractive package. I bought it together with a hot-rodded silver faced Theta Pro-Prime II DAC.
It was my primary CD player after the Audio Alchemy DDSIII transport was relegated to the heaphone kiosk over a decade ago. Long since sold the CAL, but I do miss it.

Here's a pic ( not my actual unit )

I didn't see the iconic CAL Genesis listed on this thread...

Thanks Foonsped... I added it to the list and we'll see if we can get some details on it.

As for the Matsushita transport on the CL-10 thru 15, from this photo it looks like a CR2. Now what is interesting is I pulled this from the Audio Asylum Forum:

The Icon II uses a CR2 digital servo transport mechanism that CAL designed and Matsushita built to their specifications.

But the Icon MkII uses a Panasonic (Matsushita?) RAE0113Z, so the question is, is this the same transport in the CL-10 thru 15?

From the pictures below, I'm convinced they are, but it would be good to have someone confirm it. EDIT: I have confirmed from another site listing that the CL-10 & 15 use the RAE0113Z

And I'm not sure but perhaps they are still available here? It looks like they have the Laser Head here. I know I have an NOS spare for my Icon that I bought off daBay, so that is also an alternative.

520.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
CAL CD Players

My brother-in-law gave me a mint condition California Audio Labs Delta CD Transport because he didn't have a DAC. A very generous gift indeed. I run it with a Bryston BDA-1 DAC and I'm still amazed at the sound of my CDs coming out of this set-up. To this day I think it sounds as good as any CD player I've heard and that includes some very expensive ones. Given that the unit is built like a tank I hope to have many more years of enjoyment from it.

Hi guys, anybody here has a service manual (w/adjustments) for a Tercet MKIII ?
Any info would be really appreciated.
Thanks much :)

I have never seen a schematic or a service manual for any CAL product.

There are a number of companies out there that if you contact them now about a 20 year old amp that they produced they will not release a schematic.

There should be a law that after a certain period of time (5yrs, 10yrs, etc)schematics & service manuals must be publicly available. If a company goes out of business and the company's intellectual property is not purchased then the schematics/service manuals should immediately be made available. After a year or two of selling a product on the market any competitor that wanted to steal your intellectual property will have already purchased your product and reverse engineered the electronics.

I have been bitten by this in the past with vintage equipment I have purchased that was in need of repair. When no schematic was available then I drew up my own, but that takes a lot of time. I now search for schematics before I buy and if none are available, then I pass.

Sorry to rant, but this is one of my pet peeves with high end manufacturers...

I have said the same thing time and time again. When beloved high end gear by defunct makers needs service, there should be service literature available. And too many high end manufacturers won't. I refuse to buy such gear. I expect high end gear to have it.

Back
Top Bottom