California Audio Labs (CAL) CD Players

I picked up a California Audio labs Tercet Mk. III and use it in my bedroom system. With Remote and OM I've got about $60.00 in it. It's given great service for about ten years. I did have to tweak the disc stabilizer. (A small piece of Kleenex in the top clamp apex.) Never had a moment's trouble.

I have a DX-1. It is in great shape, however the digital audio output broke. I would like to use it as a CD transport. It runs flawlessly, I have been using it through the audio outputs and it sounds pretty good.

My question is is it worth getting the Digital output connector repaired, and what do you think a fair cost for that would be?

I just paid for a Cal Audio Tercet Mark IV yesterday that I found on E Bay. I know I over paid for it but I love these players and have been on the hunt for a Mark IV for years.

Would anyone know a source for Delta transport manual? Recently picked this unit up at thrift store for $5 and use all the time now with an inexpensive DAC. Thanks.

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd start a thread for all those who love their CAL CD Players and DAC's.

I was fortunate enough to happen upon a "mint" California Audio Labs ICON MKII CD Player with the POWER BOSS UPGRADE on Ebay for $430 shipped.

I was looking at the Musical Fidelity A3.5 and the Rega Apollo but they would set me back closer to $900. I read a whole bunch of reviews and it sounds like I got something that plays pretty close to those two at half the price.

The big plus is I then just so happen to stumble upon a "NEW ORIGINAL PANASONIC Traverse Deck RAE0133Z"! So I now have a player and a replacement laser deck in case anything happens to it. Still waiting for delivery.... comon Fed-Ex!

I'm presently running a "vintage" Yamaha CDX-930, so I'm am anxious to see how they compare. More comments to follow.

For all of those who use the CAL's as a CD Reference, please chime in with any and all comments! :thmbsp:

Simply
I have had some very nice CD and SACD players and do now. I have two Arcam units and a CAL Tercet MKIV. I run the Tercet through a Cary Audio DAC 100 with a Kimber Kable Silver digital coax cable and it is magical!
Does anyone have a manual for this fine machine? Also, anyone know when it came out?
Thanks!,

Ken

I have a DX-1. It is in great shape, however the digital audio output broke. I would like to use it as a CD transport. It runs flawlessly, I have been using it through the audio outputs and it sounds pretty good. My question is is it worth getting the Digital output connector repaired, and what do you think a fair cost for that would be?
Depends on cost of the repair: what's wrong with it? My DX-1 is great as a transport. When I got my DAC, I had 6 or 7 possible transports (CDPs, DVDs) and they're all supposed to be equal, because 'bits is bits'. Not so!

Two of them were clearly better, and the difference wasn't small. The CAL DX-1 was one of them; it also has a nice remote. The also-rans included Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Sony, Denon, Toshiba — if I had to use one of them, my enjoyment would plummet.

It's also important to use a 'dedicated' digital cable. A regular IC, even high-end, is not as good.

I bought a used CL15 CD player about 5 years ago from Audiogon. I think I paid either $350 or $400 for it and it seems the prices have stayed pretty steady even though the company is long gone.

I guess I'm kind of spoiled because I've never felt the urge to upgrade or tweak it. It is truly a joy to listen to. I go through gear like underwear but the CD player situation has been taken care of for quite some time.

The display is a bit hard to read when it's light out, but I've had zero mechanical or electrical issues with it. I opened it up once and was impressed by the layout inside, not to mention the full dual-mono power supplies. I didn't realize there was a seperate transformer for each channel. The only thing that really worries me is the drawer mechanism. If that fails I may have a boat anchor.

Just wondering, does anyone have the PC software for this unit? I guess there are settings that can only be adjusted through the PC port, output voltage included. I believe these use a couple of Burr-Brown PCM1702 in the DAC. Out of curiosity, is it worthwhile to upgrade these?

Here is a link to the Stereophile review of the CL15.

Edit: I actually did try to upgrade a couple of years ago. I bought the CL10 5 disc carousel. I believe it is essentially the same player with the multi-disc capability. Unfortunately, Canada Post pummeled it in transit. If someone needs a multi-disc player, I think these are one of the best.
So the CL-10 is a multidisk version of the CL-15? Are you sure about that? I ask because I don't know. I have to the CL-10 but didn't think it has the dual power supply. I could be wrong.

Had a brand new CL 20 I bought about 10 odd years ago - should have held onto it but it was having drawer problems. Probably could have had it repaired. I had another new drive/ laser assembly installed in case there was an issue but the problem was still there oddly. I wanted to hold onto the drive but the person I bought it from threw it out unfortunately. He had a number of these as well as the CL 25 new in the box for sale at the time.

I think they were around 3 - 400.00 each.

I purchased what was left of Cal Audio 7 years ago.

I was the operations manager for GoVideo, the last company that owned Cal Audio. When the Chinese company (TCL) purchased GoVideo, I put together a deal to buy what was left of Cal Audio.
Cal has an interesting history. The three brothers that owned Cal went on to purchase Adcom some 10-12 years ago and moved it to Arizona. This was no surprise since Dan, the engineer brother, designed many Adcom pieces including the GCD-750 which is the same as the Cal CL-15. He also designed units for Arcam, and Blaupunkt.

would have parts for the Tercel MKIV?

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone have a Manual on the ICON II? Sure would appreciate a digital copy. Also how do you know if you have the HDCD ver of the ICON II. Thanks. Mike

Resurrecting this thread. Does anyone have a Manual on the ICON II? Sure would appreciate a digital copy. Also how do you know if you have the HDCD ver of the ICON II. Thanks. Mike

I don't have the manual for you but if you have the powerboss upgrade that includes HDCD capability then you'll have HDCD printed on the display and an LED that indicates when you're playing one of the encoded discs.

Found this photo of an ICON II that shows the HDCD logo on the front display and the corresponding LED engaged.

1773482-a5e54e3d-california-audio-labs-cal-icon-mk-ii-powerboss-legendary-hdcd-player.jpg

I have a CAL CL15 cd player, looking for a remote, either original, or universal that is compatible. Would love to be able to use the volume control and aux.

Yeah, I still got my CAL gear, the 2 Delta Transports, and the Sigma II and Alpha DACs.
The one Delta was modded by the previous owner, better Caps-etc throughout.
Both DACs are stock except for NOS Tubes, and Tube Dampers inside.

Only ever had trouble with my originally bought Delta, Drawer wouldn't stay shut, kept opening back up. Found it was dirty micro-switches, and a little deoxit cured it lickety split.

Back
Top Bottom