Calling All Motorola Consoles!!!

Hey everyone, my friend bought a Motorola 3 channel stereophonic hi-fi M# SK38B on a whim. We don't know what that means because we are new to this whole thing and so we found this site hoping someone could tell us more about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180210_001156.jpg
    IMG_20180210_001156.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20180210_001510.jpg
    IMG_20180210_001510.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
My SK39MB is up and running after a complete rebuild. The Sonotone cartridge is weak, I have to turn the volume up to around 4 and bass response is bad. What cartridge has been popular for the VM turntables? Also, has anyone here been successful in adding a muliplexer to the FM radio?

Hey everyone, my friend bought a Motorola 3 channel stereophonic hi-fi M# SK38B on a whim. We don't know what that means because we are new to this whole thing and so we found this site hoping someone could tell us more about it.

Looks like one I had but with the tuner. Mine ran 6AQ5 output tubes. What tubes does this one run?

The Motorola 3 channel stereo consoles are well known. They use what's called a 3 channel amplifier. The left & right mids and highs are considered 2 channel stereo, and the center bass is 1 channel for a total of 3 channels.

You mention "We don't know what that means" are you referring to the M# SK38B? if so that is the model # of the console.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_sk38b_hs_767_hs_781.html

I know the model and series numbers and I know the thing can play music. We just don't know what kind of records it takes, how take it apart or any of its history. My friend saw it was for free and we had just found a bunch of records so he went and picked it up. We want to know everything we can about it. Century Tek asked what kind of tubes it has and I don't know what that means or how to find out. Also we would like to learn how to restore it.

We just don't know what kind of records it takes, how take it apart or any of its history. We want to know everything we can about it. Century Tek asked what kind of tubes it has and I don't know what that means or how to find out. Also we would like to learn how to restore it.

The record in the picture you attached is a 33, more then likely it plays 45's, if you have the adapter spindle, and possibly plays 78's. There should be a speed changer in the lower left hand side of the turntable.

As for it's history I posted a link in my previous post, also with regards to "what kind of tubes? you'll also find that info in the link. The amplifier is pre Solid State so it uses tubes, for example here his what a 12AX7 tube looks like

DSCN0187.JPG

Here is the link again

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.33.09 PM.png

May I ask why you want to take it apart?

As for "we would like to learn how to restore it." Tube amp restoration is an acquired skill, you would be working with soldering irons and potentially lethal voltages among other things. You might want to check locally in your area for an audio repair person who has experience working on tube gear and for that matter TT's and speakers. That being said this might not be a unit you would want to "learn" on

The record in the picture you attached is a 33, more then likely it plays 45's, if you have the adapter spindle, and possibly plays 78's. There should be a speed changer in the lower left hand side of the turntable.

As for it's history I posted a link in my previous post, also with regards to "what kind of tubes? you'll also find that info in the link. The amplifier is pre Solid State so it uses tubes, for example here his what a 12AX7 tube looks like

View attachment 1112991

Here is the link again

View attachment 1112987

May I ask why you want to take it apart?

As for "we would like to learn how to restore it." Tube amp restoration is an acquired skill, you would be working with soldering irons and potentially lethal voltages among other things. You might want to check locally in your area for an audio repair person who has experience working on tube gear and for that matter TT's and speakers. That being said this might not be a unit you would want to "learn" on

I didn't know there were so many types of records. I checked the website briefly the first time but I hadn't fully looked at it until just now, this is one awesome and complex machine. So restoration is complicated and dangerous thats good to know, I'll definitely search for the right help.

Sorry, I didn't quite know your level of expertise. If you were to take the back off and have a look inside, you would probably see a big chassis on the bottom with these and other tubes and transformers sticking out of the top of it. This is the tube amplifier. Motorola usually used the same output tubes (speaker drivers) in most of their older tubed mono & stereo record players and consoles.

This is just an example of a few of the output tube types that have been generally used in home consumer electronics between the 40's to '60's.

6V6 (G) (GT) (GTA) etc.
6L6 (G) (GC) (GCW) etc.
6AQ5 - my amp uses this one.
6BQ5

Most Motorola's used the 6AQ5 and the 6BQ5 with a few good one's that used the more power 6V6 & 6L6 type tubes.

This is why I was curious as to what type of output tubes yours uses. Maybe this project might be too daunting for you. The high voltages that are generated in most console amps is anywhere from 250 to 450 volts DC. Unless you are totally comfortable poking around with a volt meter on a live unit, let someone else do it for you.

For those that feel the EL-84 amps are a bit bass heavy, the problem may be in the L/R amps. Since rebuilding mine, I haven't been happy with the stereo separation or the door speaker sound quality. Thought it was tired speakers but they got a clean bill of health at the local speaker shop. After some research I found that the L/R channels negative feedback is killing the gain. Mine also did not have the Cathode bypass capacitors on the power tubes. After some testing I installed 22uf capacitors and up the feedback resistor from 3.3K to 22K. Really made amp come alive and balanced the volume between the doors and bass driver. Makes me wonder why they designed it that way to begin with.

I agree! Very nice...

-Fran
Thanks, guys. Yes, I was really surprised at the good condition of the finish. I would have struggled with the idea of picking it up if the finish wasn't so good - blonde finishes (which really ARE the 50s style to me) are really difficult fix and blend. Its condition makes me think it was in someone's bedroom quietly sitting in a corner these past few decades. AM/FM works just fine. Record changer will need to be re-built though. Caps will need to be replaced as well.

Greg

Any idea what this is worth? I have the same model is pretty much new condition. Thanks

I see you joined this forum today so first of all welcome aboard.

As you are new here asking for the value of an item in your first post is frowned upon and in a sub forum where it's not allowed.

I've attached a link to the general rules of this forum (see rule #9)

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/audiokarma-rules.301366/

There is a sub forum here where you can create your own thread asking about value. You might want to describe if it's in working condition or not. The more details the better to give you an idea of worth.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/dollars-and-sense.128/

Best of luck with your console

I haven't paid much attention to Motorola consoles, until I saw this one: a Model 23SF8WAF It's a 1961 Motorola stereo TV in a Drexel cabinet. From what I understand it is part of the Drexel Declaration series. I really like the early 60's consoles with the caned speaker grills and oiled walnut cabinets. I have a Pilot and a couple of Zeniths in this style. It's a 23 inch B&W TV with a three channel AM/FM stereo console and record changer. It also has the "Vibrasonic" option
installed, which is similar to the Fisher Space Expander. I now have my eye on a second three channel Motorola console. I'll add it to this thread if I complete the transaction. I'm impressed! This is some high quality furniture and gear.

IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3360.JPG IMG_3363.JPG IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3364.JPG IMG_3375.JPG IMG_3377.JPG IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3379.JPG IMG_3381.JPG

Back
Top Bottom