Calling all Vintage Fan experts (Is this fan a lost cause?)

Solid_State

Solid State is great
I found what I believe to be a older 194x-195x, Unsure of the exact year as I am not into fans but when I saw it just laying outside looking sad I had to grab it.

Anyway the blades spin freely by had and I already know that someone has "Fixed" it in the past

I don't believe this is a fan of any value but being into older stuff I want to see if I can get it to run again if not that is OK

Thank in advance for any insight or help

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
It is only a small motor. Can't be that diffcult??
If the winding is ok, too much play on the bearing maybe a problem.

Looks like it needs a major cleaning and lube. Do those motors have replaceable brushes?

Second the bearing issue - wiggle the motor shaft and see if it has any play.

I have an old 6-8" desk fan that's really cool, but the shaft seems to be actually bent. It vibrates quite a bit when running. Alas, it's a chrome-plated shelf queen.

I am a fan collector. This is not a desirable model. Probably made in the 50s when cheap stamped blades started being used and fans became disposable items.

There is a little play in the shaft but I got it to run, and damn does this fan move the air
how much play in the shaft is too much?

Mass produced, lower end model. It looks like it's missing the center badge on the front grill. They were built rather well. It should be a simple fix as there's not a lot going on inside the motor. Nice vintage display piece!

I am a fan collector. This is not a desirable model. Probably made in the 50s when cheap stamped blades started being used and fans became disposable items.

Since it is not considered a "collectible" piece can I can paint it with out worrying about harming any value that it has?

If so what color should I paint it?

I was thinking either a gloss or flat black or gloss or flat silver?

I would leave the blades and the grill as is but I would remove rust and clean them (The rust is just very light surface rust)

Is sand paper OK to remove the rust? or is there a better way?
I do not have access to sandblasting equipment which I know is the best way I think?

Black or brown or green where the typical fan colors that I remember from that time period. If the blades are aluminum (magnet will not stick to them), I'd just polish them with Mother's aluminum polish (get it as a auto parts store). A fine grade scotch brite pad will remove the surface rust most likely (find these in the paint section at Home Depot or Lowe's).

Black or brown or green where the typical fan colors that I remember from that time period. If the blades are aluminum (magnet will not stick to them), I'd just polish them with Mother's aluminum polish (get it as a auto parts store). A fine grade scotch brite pad will remove the surface rust most likely (find these in the paint section at Home Depot or Lowe's).

Yep the blades are aluminum. will a SOS or Brillo pad work
and for a time period paint is that going to be Gloss or flat black as I have already chosen black as the color I am going to paint it

If they blades are aluminum, then there should be no rust on them. Aluminum oxidizes to a very thin white looking powder on the surface. A rag and Mother's polish should clean the blade up just fine. Be careful, aluminum blades are easy to bend.

If they blades are aluminum, then there should be no rust on them. Aluminum oxidizes to a very thin white looking powder on the surface. A rag and Mother's polish should clean the blade up just fine. Be careful, aluminum blades are easy to bend.

OK it was actually a very thick coating of dirt & grease and not oxidation or rust. Can I use a SOS or Brillo pad to get the rust off of the grill?

Sure. Just take it easy at first to make sure you aren't removing the finish too.

Be careful with too-coarse scrubbing pads; the aluminum is somewhat soft and scratches relatively easily. Using an appropriate chemical cleaner (look for one that specifies it is good for aluminum) may be better than too much abrasion. You can actually polish those blades to a near-mirror finish, better than new, with the right chemical (and very fine, mild abrasive) cleaners.

Not a particularly valuable or collectible fan, but still a nice vintage piece to decorate with, and with a little cleaning and lubrication, plus new brushes, it should be good to go for many more years to come.

I got 19 good vintage fans in one go a couple of years ago, the collected selection of a guy who fixed broken fans for a living. I knew the man and his wife (who used to be the cleaner in our building) for years, so she gave me a great deal on his collection, after his death. I also have a few others I picked up here and there at bargain prices. More than I need or probably will ever actually use, and I don't crave any more unless they are particularly unusual or attractive. But I sure do love some of them, and think vintage fans make wonderful decorative additions to almost any room.

Just be careful if you are in any sense a collector. Fans CAN be just almost as much fun and every bit as addictive as audio, if you let them! :yes: :D

Now that you have this one, others will start following you home. I started with a late 40's Emerson 6 years ago, and now I have quite a few dating from the 20's to the late 50's.

I think I have that same motor on a fan. It sits above my wood stove and a couple of times a year, it needs a pressurized air clean-out and a shaft lube. It has about 3/8" of linear play in the shaft.

Back
Top Bottom