Calling all Yamaha'ers!

i belive it is...the phono stage was rebuilt a few years back.....i had a chance to really crank it today and it sounds real good.....the problem is i dont get a chance to do that very much.....i tried both B and A class

...but is it up to spec?

I didn't even listen to mine prior to completely rebuilding it. Sounds great, though.

I also have an A-700. While the build quality isn't the same, I swear it sounds just as good, even if it only does class A to 5w.

The 2010 is a beast though, and does class A to 30W - one of the reasons why I wanted it.

I guess you have tried the "loudness" knob out Alex?
Just wanted to make sure, because according to what I have read, the feature is supposed to curve the EQ to simulate the cranked sound.

On another note, those Dynaco A-25s do look interesting. Not overly expensive either. I found a couple pair on fleaBay.

Any of you guys have any experience with older B&O receivers?
I know they supposedly make pretty good stuff, but I didn't know how the older stuff stacked up. I'll probably just stick with Yamaha but ya never know. I also have heard a couple people mention Marantz, and I think I heard a few others. Trouble is I DO like that Yamaha sound.

Last edited:
Interest Sam. Though, that does make sense. I suppose that is a time difference phenomenon. The increased muddiness I mean.
Any recommendations on other decent speakers in the $100-$200 range comparable or better than Infinity?

You are correct, the time difference is known as phase error. Try Celestion DL-10, Yamaha NS-200M , or Yamaha NS-670. There are others in this price range.

:yes:

ca-ct-1010_closeup.jpg

Man, that 1010 looks sweeeet!
I wish there were more of these older models for sale!
I can't seem to track anything down than mostly CRs! (and I already have a CR :))

Does that NS200m have a smaller version I wonder? Those are big ol honkers

The NS200M is not too big, it has a 10 inch woofer which is necessary for proper bass. But it is black. I think the NS-670 or if you can stretch to the NS-690 would be an ideal choice for the CA-2010 and the CT-1010 tuner. The cabinets are a closer match and the set looks like pure class. Save up and take your time to get the right set and you will be much happier in the long run.

Heh, actually, I would agree on the woofer size, however this setup will actually be going in my girlfriend's house and I'm not sure if she will go for the big floor standers...

Heh, actually, I would agree on the woofer size, however this setup will actually be going in my girlfriend's house and I'm not sure if she will go for the big floor standers...

GF? Hmmm. I'd say give her the CR-840 and Infinities and replace your home set with the nicer Yammies.

Hehe nice Sam.
I'll have to see what I can do since she is the one dropping the money down.
My thought is, I spend enough time over there that her little cd changer "surround" guy isn't getting the job done for me, so I talked her into buying ;)

Do you gents know any websites that sell vintage yamaha stuff, or is eBay pretty much it?

There are websites selling vintage hi-fi, but the pricetag will demand much more than you're budget. Stay with e-pay, thrift shops and that kind of places, it will give you more sound within the budget.

When you are out hunting also look out for the A-1, you might be lucky.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/A1/A1.html

Last edited:
ssshhh! don't create more demand for the A-1!
It's OK, I already WAS on the lookout for an A-1. Really cool looking, and simple unit. Sadly, I couldn't find a single one for sale!

I just gave a gent an offer on a Luxman R-1070... I wanted a Yamaha CA- big boy or CR-2020 but didn't find any of those within budget either.

I also sent an email on a pair of Infinity RS-4000s with emit-k's. I'll have plenty of space at my place for some nice old Dynacos or something ;)

The A-1 was on my list too, but simply due to lack of availability, I went with a CA-2010, which are much easier to find.

Thanks for the tip on those Polk models. honestly, I have for some reason been strictly focusing on Infinity speakers, but I guess with two Infinity setups I might as well branch out a bit...
I am going to go research those right away!

I am running Polk Monitor 10's with my CR2040 with very solid results, however I have also run Infinity Primus 360's with it as well with outstanding results. The CR2040 will handle both vintage and modern speakers with relative ease.
Regards,
Jim

I run Polk Monitor 7Bs with my CR-2020 and can't say I have seen any bass problems. Perhaps it is the relatively high damping factor of the 2020 that controls them.

Back
Top Bottom