Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

You know.....us kids who grew up in the 50's and 60's in the south. Cherry bombs and M-80's and such. Great to blow things up with on the 4th of July. However, the Yamaha M-80 is about as solid an amp as you could ever own, so don't think it will be blowing up on you.

Originally posted by bolly
AlphaLimaXray- can't be that old, I don't get it...
Sorry, bolly.
The more widely known(outside of audio circles) M-80 is a now-illegal large firecracker-type device, á la cherry bombs, but significantly larger with a greater explosive yield. It was originally designed for the military as a gunfire simulator. It was outlawed in the 60's after kids playing with them started losing hands and other appendages. Here's a link with more info.

I would love to have an M-80. The amp, I mean! ;)

Cheers.
:beerchug:
-AlphaLima

Re: Re: My Yammy gear

Originally posted by gpdavis2
Yes...your first of many. Like Lay's potato chips. You can't have just one. Don't forget to post a pic. Do you need a C-85 to go with that M-2?

That's a very distinct possibility but not right away. Gotta cool the jets a little here...just received my Bryston 4b NRB yesterday...bank accounts are sometimes slow to rebound! Keep me in mind though.

I just picked up a used Yamaha YPE-301. This is an encoding unit that is supposed to be used with the YRR-301 disc writer. I got the YPE-301 because I wanted the beautiful case it was housed in. 3U rack mount with the nice champagne brown color, heavily shielded box. My intent was to gut it, but when I opened the box up, all that was inside is a power supply and a nice six slot VME card cage and backplane. Whoa! Suddenly I'm thinking of making this into a HTPC based on a VME SBC. Time will tell.

Re: Re: Re: My Yammy gear

Originally posted by BroonsBane
That's a very distinct possibility but not right away. Gotta cool the jets a little here...just received my Bryston 4b NRB yesterday...bank accounts are sometimes slow to rebound! Keep me in mind though.

No problem. If someone else comes along I'll let you know first.

BTW, Bryston is my second favorite gear after vintage Yamaha/Sony. I ran a pair of 2B-LP amps in bridged mode for almost ten years and they are just great. And they are quite inexpensive on the used market. People always want more power and don't realize just how good these are when pumping out 150w in bridged mode.

My only Yamaha is a CA-810 integrated. Amazingly close to tubes in smoothness, and with greater detail and clarity. However, I think there better preamps, such as the Superphon Revelation and ARC SP-6A.

added to the fold... thanks for takin' care of her Broonsbane!

... now I have taken ownership of that vagabond Yamaha M-2! :D

Yamaha Cr-2020 that I like a lot. plenty of power for the Ohm Walsh II's. It really sounds great and everything works all mainly due to Merrylander.

M-80 amp and T-7 tuner

I used to have an FJ600, my first brand new motorcycle back in 1985. I loved that bike for around 10 years.

the only Yamaha's i have personally owned are the CR-420 and the CR-640. still have the 420, love em both.

This is my first Yamaha and I just picked it up last month.
Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Amplifier A-560. Dont how vintage it is or even how much power it has. But it sounds pretty good. :yes:

Unican_Eric said:
This is my first Yamaha and I just picked it up last month.
Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Amplifier A-560. Dont how vintage it is or even how much power it has. But it sounds pretty good. :yes:

Bought one in 1981 with a pair of Klipsch Heresy. Don't remember what tuner I had at the time. Wife had a Pioneer PL-12D-II. Enjoyed this set up for many years.

The A-560 was rated at 55WPC. Couple of years ago I picked up the matching T-560 tuner for 10 bucks after having the amp rebuilt. Use this set with a Pioneer PL-117D table and Baby Advents set up next to the PC to copy LP to CD.

I see no reason to think about parting with this system.

I've been happy with the C-80 and M-80 since I bought them in 1987. They were my first stereo componants along with a CD-29 that I dumped a couple of years ago due to a problem with the transport. It's too bad that the M-80 doesn't have heavier duty speaker connectors that accept both spades & banana plugs.

my yamaha collection is:
ca-400
cr-450
ct-510 - not a fan of that tuner at all, will get rid of it one day, its a pity cos it looks cool, with the other gear
ca-710 - this is the biggest amp I have and i'm a huge fan of it, id love to get hold of one of the bigger ones
and some newer stuff
cdx-510
ax-300 (which i donated to my parents so not really mine anymore)

chris

T-80 tuner after having Pioneer and Technics receivers since 1977.

Tom

Last edited:
CA-1010 int amp
C2 preamp (mid 70's unit)
CDC-656(?) 5 disc CD player - bought new in 1993 - still looks and runs as new, and we use it about 3hrs a day, every day, all that time!
CDX-520u a $15 thrift store purchase - works fine, sounds nice.
KX-300U cassette
KX-220U cassette

Anyone know anything about the CT-800 tuner? It was the top model when the CA-1000 was out, and I'm wondering how many gangs it has, and what type of filters?

From http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html

Yamaha CT-800 (1974, $370, photo) - The CT-800, which appears to be somewhat similar to the CT-1010, can sell for anywhere from $30-125 on eBay and should be a major bargain at the low end of that range.

Yamaha CT-1010 (1977, $385, photo, schematic) - The CT-1010 has 5 FM gangs and 3 AM gangs and is reportedly a pretty good tuner for both bands. It's a big, solid-looking tuner like the CT-7000. The CT-1010 has 3 strange green ceramic filters which should be easy to replace with narrower standard 3-pin filters for improved selectivity. Our contributors Tim and Ann “upgraded the [Marantz] 125 to a Yamaha CT-1010 and this was a mistake: We learned to hate the auto-tune-lock feature of the Yamaha and our particular unit was a lemon and was constantly being repaired under warranty by the dealer. We did think it sounded a bit better than the 125, but owning it left us with a negative impression of Yamaha quality control. We finally found a used 125, bought it and dumped the Yamaha.” But our contributor Glenn replies, “As I switch back and forth between my stock Yamaha CT-1010 and Denon TU-750S, I can't help but notice the difference in soundstage depth and better bass with the CT-1010. Over the past twelve months I've done the same with a Sony ST-S730ES and Denon TU-1500RD. I wanted the ability to have a remote so was hoping that the Denon was better. It wasn't and is gone. Same with the Sony, although it was better than the TU-1500RD. So I got a Luxman T-117 and tried the same thing. After a month of comparing the Luxman is gone. While the CT-1010 review in the TIC isn't that glowing, that has certainly not been my listening experience. And mine has never given me a single hiccup. I am not a DXer and am only interested in the quality of the sound. So far, the CT-1010 is tops.” The CT-1010 historically sold for $100 to as much as $225 on eBay, but during the period 11/03 to 11/04 the typical sale price has plummeted to $45-80. In 11/04, for example, a mint CT-1010 sold for just $71 and one with scratches on the top went for $39. Maybe the price drop is partly due to the one negative comment from Tim and Ann, so let's be clear: It's just plain dumb to pay $50 or so for any of the lesser tuners in the CT-x10 series while the CT-1010 (which is probably a good bargain even at $100) is available so cheaply. OK, we feel better now - one just sold for $141 in 12/04.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom