Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD Player AQ?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Ramseybella, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

I just picked up a working Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD Player first generation no HDMI
    $5.00 no remote..
    What sort of Audio quality should I expect? Haven't plugged it into my Rotell system yet i did see it went for under $400.00 way back when around 2005 or so prehistoric era by today's standards.
    Built in the land of the Flaming Dragon..
    Under the hood nothing looking special!!
    CA1.jpg
    CA2-IN.jpg
    CA3-IN.jpg
    CA4-IN.jpg
    CA5-IN.jpg
    CA6-IN.jpg
    CA7-IN.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

Plugged it in today..
    Sounds good a bit narrow not as wide as my Rotel, Busy complex music is not for this unit.
    Anything like Jazz, Acoustic solo vocals and anything without a lot of instrument songs sound clear and smooth no harshness.
    Keeper? Don't know as I picked up a Sony DVP-S7000 for $6.00 in mint condition, haven't plugged it in my system yet just headphones and it works..

3. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

I now have the Sony DVP-S7000 installed to compare sound quality..
    As the Rotel RCD-990 beats them both by a large spread, the Sony comes second for closest for wide separation of the recording.
    Sort of weird how there is such difference. The Cambridge just won't relax into the room surroundings sounds confined.
    This Sony i can see why people mod this unit, it breaths well and with decent 3D separation. The Cambridge needed major EQ tweaking to get better definition.
    So it will be my garage player if the DVD part works, I have a small flat screen on my work bench hooked into my stereo receiver.
    It's not bad on it's own but after the A/B test it's not staying in my home setup, the Meridian 596 DVD comes back into the slot I will test that next.
    So I guess I answered my own Question? It's OK better than some others I have in the closet Corral..

4. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

Anyone with a pulse?:dunno:

5. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

I have a Cambridge Audio DVD 89 Universal DVD player that I bought back when Blu Ray players were becoming popular ...
    picked it up for $200 (10+ years ago) ... sold for $400 originally.

The sound quality was always good to my ears but was kicked up a notch when I took the digital coaxial out to a Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber modern DAC.
    I'm getting really good sound for my concert DVD's ... provided the original recording was done well.

[​IMG]