Cambridge Audio Azure 640 repair--where???, my usual will not

jonemw

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I really liked this CDP. However , it needs some attention and I cannot find anyone to fix it. My usual place will not touch it, and I no longer have any laser alignment tools, threw them away many years ago...
Been sitting on my unused shelf for a year, would like to get it going. Can anyone suggest a place, I am in socal but am willing to ship anywhere.

Audiocrafters.net in Pasadena, is a dealer and repair facility. The Cambridge Audio website lists other US dealers, some of whom do repair.

If is just the laser, that's easy to replace and doesn't need any additional adjustment. Original Azure 640c had a Sony KSS-213C laser. The Version 2 of that player used a Sanyo SF-P101N laser.

Highly recommend you contact AK member Tinman who is also here in SoCal... one of the finest techs around, and wizard on CD players among other things.

John

My 16 month old CXC is acting up. Called the retailer Audio Advisor and even though the unit is still under warranty they could not get rid of me fast enough.
Referred me to an outfit called Audio Plus who is the North American distributor for Cambridge. Could not get anyone on the phone so left a message and sent an e-mail.
We'll see. It is the holidays so will cut some slack on response time, however disappointed about AA total lack of support and may stop doing any business with them.

My 16 month old CXC is acting up. Called the retailer Audio Advisor and even though the unit is still under warranty they could not get rid of me fast enough.
Referred me to an outfit called Audio Plus who is the North American distributor for Cambridge. Could not get anyone on the phone so left a message and sent an e-mail.
We'll see. It is the holidays so will cut some slack on response time, however disappointed about AA total lack of support and may stop doing any business with them.

Check with these folks, very helpful with Cambridge in the past.

ERIC ADLER
Title Tech Support Guru
email eadler@audioplusservices.com
Phone 800.663.9352 x114

MICHAEL ROUSSEAU
Title Tech Support Guru
email mrousseau@audioplusservices.com
Phone 800.663.9352 x103

http://www.audioplusservices.com/contactus.htm

If is just the laser, that's easy to replace and doesn't need any additional adjustment. Original Azure 640c had a Sony KSS-213C laser. The Version 2 of that player used a Sanyo SF-P101N laser.
Hi sonic67.
Are the KSS-213C's easy to fit? I'm guessing the static/distorted noise from my nad c521bee is the laser

Sony lasers are typically just a drop-in replacement. 5 minutes, tops. You might need to unsolder a little blob (see video below) but this is totally something you can handle yourself.

Before you go buying a new mechanism, though, I've got to ask the obvious: have you cleaned your current laser recently? Might just be dirty...

Sony lasers are typically just a drop-in replacement. 5 minutes, tops. You might need to unsolder a little blob (see video below) but this is totally something you can handle yourself.

Before you go buying a new mechanism, though, I've got to ask the obvious: have you cleaned your current laser recently? Might just be dirty...

Yes I did but I realised from another thread this problem I'm hearing doesn't sound like the laser, as it finds tracks and the cd fine.
I'm only just getting into circuitry but I'm now considering using the bust nad to do work on and learn soldering, I've nothing to lose at it was a freebie.
I'm just trailing through forums and emails as the problem is apparently from another component which I can't find for toffee.
Any ideas what could be causing static/distortion during cd playback?

Hmmm, that static/distortion mention makes me think of my NAD deck that took a small power hit and developed that exact symptom on one channel - I kept it, but have not tried to fix yet. Nice old deck, I was using it with one of my homebrew class D amps and I had a stupid all-metal knob on the volume pot. Static electricity discharge when I touched the knob. No damage apart from the NAD, which still played but with that problem. Possible that your deck had something similar at one time?

Back
Top Bottom