Cambridge Audio DAC Magic vs Topping D30

Shark Bait

I think I have narrowed my search down to these two. I am looking for a DAC to run an Ipad or a Laptop on a vintage Pioneer receiver. I do not want to spend much more than $200. These two seem like good options. Does anyone have any experience with these units on a vintage system?

Thanks

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic is good, but can you stretch for magic plus?
you will get excellent headphone input!!!you could save on headphone amp.
You
really do not need for extra headphone amp with MAGIC PLUS,it is so good that you will notes dif after 30 sec of comparing with anything out there in that price range. Volume knob is bit funny to use,bit after 2-3 days you will be fine using it, that is all. I think MAGIC OR MAGIC PLUS(HEADPHONE INPUT) is excellent DAC
topping ??? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks for the input. I really don't need a headphone amp so I think the DAC Magic will be plenty. Have you listened to the Topping? What kind of system are you playing the Cambridge Audio through?

I have both of these DACs in systems based on vintage, restored receivers--Pioneers, Luxmans, etc.

I would recommend the Topping D30 over the DacMagic 100 for two reasons: marginally better sound quality and a much lower price. The Topping is about a year or two old and the DacMagic is several years old now. Perhaps the newer DAC chip is the reason.

In terms of price, the Topping was one-third the price the DacMagic. Build quality is about even, perhaps a slight edge to the DacMagic.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, so I would recommend you choose based on price.

Sorry to jump in on another post, but I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 550C CD player and I was looking to add a DAC to the system. I believe the CD player has the same Wolfson DAC as the DACmagic. I wonder if either the DACmagic or the Topping D30 would actually be an upgrade, or would there be no noticeable difference? Could it even be a backward step?
I seem to remember that the difference with the 650C and 850C was that they have 2 Wolfson DACS instead of 1, but they have the same spinner and servo as the 550C. The DACmagic plus is supposed to have the twin DAC setup like the 650C and the 850C.
Any other upgrade ideas would be welcome as well.

Back
Top Bottom