Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

+1 new soon to be owner here. Ordered a unit from Audio Advisors - backordered and estimated to ship in a week. $399 Free shipping. I have been wanting a USB based DAC for awhile.

I have a Roku Soundbridge network music device I think I can use with this unit when I want to roam to a differerent part of the house (or just carry a laptop around I guess).

I found a link to the owners manual PDF on the AA site: http://www.audioadvisor.com/pdf/CADACMAGI.pdf

+1 new soon to be owner here. Ordered a unit from Audio Advisors - backordered and estimated to ship in a week. $399 Free shipping. I have been wanting a USB based DAC for awhile.

I have a Roku Soundbridge network music device I think I can use with this unit when I want to roam to a differerent part of the house (or just carry a laptop around I guess).

I found a link to the owners manual PDF on the AA site: http://www.audioadvisor.com/pdf/CADACMAGI.pdf

Spearit Sound had them in stock and mine shipped out TODAY. They were the same price as audioadvisor, but I decided to go with spearit sound because i want mine yesterday.. :D

I posted a "1st report" on my new DacMagic a few days back. Initial impressions: more detail and abit cleaner sound over all, especially in the Upper registers and more pronounced lo and mid range output. Still need to do more listening but like what I hear so far and not at all disapointed. It works as everyone has said.

I posted a "1st report" on my new DacMagic a few days back. Initial impressions: more detail and abit cleaner sound over all, especially in the Upper registers and more pronounced lo and mid range output. Still need to do more listening but like what I hear so far and not at all disapointed. It works as everyone has said.
Thanks for posting about the $50 price increase in your other thread.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have posted it here first. If it's better to keep all my comments here in the owners thread I will do that.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have posted it here first. If it's better to keep all my comments here in the owners thread I will do that.
No worries, I was not trying to be sarcastic and hope I didn't come across that way. I had not seen that there was a price increase and appreciate you posting about it.

The real purpose of this thread is to capture any modifications people might be doing to the Dacmagic's. I mentioned that in the first post.

Just dropped off by FedEx

Well it took more than 1 week after being backordered at AudioAdvisors. It sounds like I got in just under the gun on the price increase.

My unit was just delivered at my door by FedEx in the last 20 minutes. :banana::thmbsp::music:

So...I know what I'll be doing for a good portion of today and tomorrow. Here's a picture of the unit coming out of the shipping box:

IMAGE_00087-1.jpg

Well it took more than 1 week after being backordered at AudioAdvisors. It sounds like I got in just under the gun on the price increase.

My unit was just delivered at my door by FedEx in the last 20 minutes. :banana::thmbsp::music:

So...I know what I'll be doing for a good portion of today and tomorrow. Here's a picture of the unit coming out of the shipping box:

IMAGE_00087-1.jpg

It's a beautiful box isn't it! Just wait until you hear the sound! :D

Btw, price increase? So it's more than $400 now? :no:

Goodie,Goodie!
The confounded bridge Has re-opened
You've received all your new toys
And I have all next week off from work!
Lets pick an afternoon or evening ?
Id love to help you break it in alittle ~
Shoot me a PM Dick ....

Ok, I am loving this new gadget - listening to some WAVs of Jazz titles from music libraries on a couple of PCs, including a laptop with Windows 7. Installing the device in Vista and Win7 was seamless.

I'm listening in the bedroom system with a Sansui AU-717 driving Klipsch Fortes. Very rich low frequency and detailed mids and highs. Instead of sounding like a crappy computer sound card, it sounds like listening to the Denon 1290 CDP. :music:

Looks like I finally have a good reason to use the music library interface in Windows Media Center...

mediacenter_03.jpg

Goodie,Goodie!
The confounded bridge
Has re-opened
You've received all your new toys
And I have all next week off from work!
Lets pick an afternoon or evening ?
Id love to help you break it in alittle ~
Shoot me a PM Dick ....

excellent Mark! Looking forward to visiting with you. PM on the way. :thmbsp:

Edit: NICE, bonus points for The Crunge reference :D

Last edited:
Instead of sounding like a crappy computer sound card, it sounds like listening to the Denon 1290 CDP. :music:
And it's going to get better after you have 20-30 hours on it. :yes:

If anyone sees any articles or posts about doing modifications to the Dacmagic please post the link to it.

2nd dacmagic now installed in syst.#2 with diff. spks and amp. Out of the box impression same as the #1. CLEAN, DETAILED, GOODER BASS. just a nicer sounding playback than before. this from a Pio, 100 CD carosel ca. 1998.
Sys. #1 has a 1997 version of same Pio.
CDs auditioned were downloaded from web for me by a friend and they sounded fine to me from the get go. The Dacmagic just makes everthing sound better to me.
Sure glad I read this thread. It made me buy 2 ubdem.

I am a bit confused why the DacMagic is nearly twice the price of the Beresford TC-7520 around the world, but only £50 different in price in the UK.

Spending time ripping music to a computer without having a good DAC to play it with is like taking the time to sit down and enjoy a good read on the John and then finding you have no toilet paper.

Just takes all the joy out of it...

:smoke:

Back
Top Bottom