Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

My thought is that the laptop (USB connection) to the DM should sound about the same as the CDP to the DM (via optical cable).
Although I haven't tried it others have written that the UBS input does NOT sound as good as the optical or coax inputs. You will need 20-40 hours for it to burn in so maybe the sound will improve. While the DM is not the end all in DACs it does represent a solid value and many of us have found improvement over the DACs in our CD players.

I'm with you on the value/price point of the DM. I'm using one of the Sony 300 CD carousel players for a transport that cost about $250 new, so I figured there probably wasn't much of an onboard DAC used in the unit.

Maybe my tin ear is acting up :scratch2

Yes, after about 40 hours of burn-in I can hear the difference... either that or my brain wants to hear the difference. I like it, much smoother sound.

Last edited:
Im running my Pio 100 CD carosel thru a DacMagic with very impressive results to my ears anyway. A 24bit dac beats a 1bit dac any day of the week.

Great thread, nice to see uniform reviews of the DacMagic. If you hook the optical output from your CDP to the DAC, how do you then hook the DAC to your amp? Use the unbalanced output? Do you connect it to say Aux 2 or the CD input?
My Int Amp does not have an input to match the Balanced Output, pictured on the website, is there a cable you can buy to connect to a line level input? Thanks.

If you hook the optical output from your CDP to the DAC, how do you then hook the DAC to your amp? Use the unbalanced output? Do you connect it to say Aux 2 or the CD input?
That's it. Just run your analog cables from the DM to the Aux or CD input. You can also run the analog outputs from your CD player into your amp on a different input and then you can compare the DAC's in the DM to your CD player. Have fun! :thmbsp:

Thanks Duffinator, I can run the DAC into my open Aux 2 input while leaving my CDP as is. Makes life easier. I'll have to keep an eye out for some sales, I do have a b'day coming up next month.

Mods for DM

There's a whole lot of info on the other side of the pond regarding mods. It appears that several favor replacing IC op-amps with discrete ones, specifically those from Burson. Read post #270 at the bottom of the page then follow the discussion on the next page on this link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/823353-cambridge-dacmagic-18.html

Also, I contacted Burson to find out who in North America could do Mods. Initially I was thinking of it for my Pio BDP-51FD blu-ray as a way of improving its 2-channel analog out which I use for playing CD's. Now I think it makes more sense to get a good, upsampling DAC like the DM. Here are 2 places that could possibly mod the unit:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/
http://asi-tek.com/

From the research I've done, it appears that replacing the op-amps with the Burson's and changing the power supply caps gives the best bang for the buck. Other mods are possible, but then it starts costing more too.

For a while I was hung up on the DAC, but someone pointed out the importance of op-amps, which makes sense! Clearly, manufacturers have to make decisions on component quality in order to market at a certain price point. What better way to extend what they started than with a mod!

Also, I've been very curious to see reviews of the Ayre QB-9 which packs some great technology to help compensate for Redbook deficiencies. However, it's pricey at $2500! (http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=18&field=specs)

If anyone does or has done any mod, please post as we are all interested!

Hi Guy's,
Can anyone help me? I have apple TV with all my itunes on it. I've bought the Cambridge audio dacmagic and have set it up via optical cable to the apple tv and RCA's going out to my amp Onkyo 506. I can notice the improved sound straight away, which is great. I have a couple of issues though that I had not pre thought of. I realise the dac converts to anologe stereo but what's he best way to set up the apple tv ect if I wanted to watch a movie via apple tv and wanted 5.1 sound? Surely I don't have to manually disconnect cables manually and plug in to the optical in on the amp do I? Anyone got any views?

Hi Guy's,
Can anyone help me? I have apple TV with all my itunes on it. I've bought the Cambridge audio dacmagic and have set it up via optical cable to the apple tv and RCA's going out to my amp Onkyo 506. I can notice the improved sound straight away, which is great. I have a couple of issues though that I had not pre thought of. I realise the dac converts to anologe stereo but what's he best way to set up the apple tv ect if I wanted to watch a movie via apple tv and wanted 5.1 sound? Surely I don't have to manually disconnect cables manually and plug in to the optical in on the amp do I? Anyone got any views?
Welcome to AK.

I use two ATV's, one in my HT and the other in my stereo. The DM has an optical output so run the optical from the ATV to the DM, then from your DM to your AVR. But I'm not 100% sure it will pass anything but two channel. The manual does state no upsampling is performed so maybe it will pass a 5.1 signal. Let us know if it works.

aargh...

I just received the Dacmagic as a present and finally had a chance to put it into my upstairs system--running my MacBook Pro through it into my Marantz 2226. Like everyone else has said, it sounded amazing even before getting a chance to burn in a little.

However...the DM just powered itself off (I missed the specifics because I was out of the room) and will not power back on. I've done the basic troubleshooting, but to no avail. Has this happened to anyone else with this unit?

Thanks guys for your input. I hope to get the DM up and running and give a report of my own impressions later.

Thanks, I'm going to call customer service in the morning to get the ball rolling. I'm SO bummed -- it sounded amazing, with all the "I'm hearing things I've never heard before" cliches.

I am sure you tried but unplug the power cord from the unit make sure the unit switch is in the off position and then connect the power turn unit on

Bummer, sounds like it's defective. I've had mine for almost a year now with no issues. Good luck.

Same here, had the DAC Magic about 11 months, on the whole time, and used about daily. No issues at all. I'd ship that thing right back!

Hello from St. Louie btw! :wave: (Cold enough for you? I'm loving it! :yes:)

Hey guys. Luckily my wife's parents gifted me the DM through Audio Advisor, so AA is going to take care of things and I should hopefully have a new unit pretty soon.

There's no way that the MacBook Pro's volume levels (or anything) else could be a culprit here, right. I'm pretty sure it's not, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the responses and for this great thread, which was instrumental in my taking the leap into DacMagic ownership. As you all have said, what I heard out of the DM before it stopped working rivaled in interesting ways my turntable set up. Cheers, Matt

ps: Permanent Waves, it is TOO COLD in STL right now!

Hey guys. Luckily my wife's parents gifted me the DM through Audio Advisor, so AA is going to take care of things and I should hopefully have a new unit pretty soon.

There's no way that the MacBook Pro's volume levels (or anything) else could be a culprit here, right. I'm pretty sure it's not, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the responses and for this great thread, which was instrumental in my taking the leap into DacMagic ownership. As you all have said, what I heard out of the DM before it stopped working rivaled in interesting ways my turntable set up. Cheers, Matt

ps: Permanent Waves, it is TOO COLD in STL right now!

I'm sure you just got a defective unit and AA should take care of it soon as you say. Just an inconvenience, and you'll be enjoying the "Magic" soon! :yes:

I'm no techy, but volume levels should have nothing to do with a DAC not powering on. When you do get a unit that works fine, keep the volume on your computer turned up all the way and adjust it with your amp, that's what is recommended.

If you think this thread has a lot of info, check out the threads on Head-Fi about the DAC Magic! :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/cambridge-dacmagic-anyone-thread-ii-430326/

Oh, and it's 4 degrees here right now! Love it! I went hiking/walking last evening (in Queeny Park if you know of it) and it's so refreshing and invigorating! It is a little too cold to cycle though (with the wind chill), I usually don't do that if it's below 15 degrees or so. I'd like to see a minus temp here! :D

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help and encouragement. The new DacMagic came this afternoon from AA and has been running beautifully since, with about six hours in by this point. I was expecting it to sound good, but I'm just flat-out impressed. I can't wait to give it more time.

I have two quick questions:
1. I'm using a MacBook Pro via the USB connection, and, as Permanent Waves mentioned, I have the volume at the maximum. What about the Equalizer, which on its "preamp" can go up from 0db to =12db? Should that stay at 0db?

2. There's no such thing as a USB to Optical Out interconnect for the laptop, is there? I've read on this thread that the Optical is the way to go...though, I'm loving the sound through the USB.

Thanks again, Matt

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help and encouragement. The new DacMagic came this afternoon from AA and has been running beautifully since, with about six hours in by this point. I was expecting it to sound good, but I'm just flat-out impressed. I can't wait to give it more time.

I have two quick questions:
1. I'm using a MacBook Pro via the USB connection, and, as Permanent Waves mentioned, I have the volume at the maximum. What about the Equalizer, which on its "preamp" can go up from 0db to =12db? Should that stay at 0db?

2. There's no such thing as a USB to Optical Out interconnect for the laptop, is there? I've read on this thread that the Optical is the way to go...though, I'm loving the sound through the USB.

Thanks again, Matt

There are soundcards which will allow you to go optical out. The most prominent that comes to mind now is the new Asus card featured in Stereophile, but nonetheless. I use a Samsung BDP out to my DACmagic and I am VERY happy with what I am hearing. :yes:

So it's not a matter of attaching the right adapter interconnects between the MacBook Pro and my Marantz 2226, but it goes back to whether the soundcard will even deliver an optical signal? I'm very ignorant about these digital issues, thanks for your patience...do you guys have any other recommendations about the iTunes equalizer preamp db levels?

About to turn on the DM and continue the burn-in. It's going to be good day.

Back
Top Bottom