Cambridge Audio DacMagic Owners Thread

Your MacBook Pro should have a digital out via the mini-headphone jack on the left side near where you plug in the power. You have to get a cable or an adapter that goes from mini-toslink to toslink to connect to your DacMagic.

I actually have the MF V-DAC, and have used both USB and the mini-toslink connection. I do not notice a difference, but I wouldn't expect to since my source (ALAC) is from the CD, so it will always be 16/44 and come out the same through either connection.

S/PDIF or TosLink connection to the DM, which is better and why?

Also, what is a S/PDIF co-axial 75 ohm digital RCA interconnect cable? How is that different from a video cable.

S/PDIF or TosLink connection to the DM, which is better and why?

Also, what is a S/PDIF co-axial 75 ohm digital RCA interconnect cable? How is that different from a video cable.
Most reports that I've read show both about the same and both better than USB. I'm pretty sure that the coax is better for longer runs. It's a video cable, it has a higher bandwidth than typical interconnects (although you can use the same cable for interconnects, BJC uses Belden 1505F) and you can Google the specs. I'm using a BJC 1505F with mine.

I am late to the game here. Just spotted this forum. Put here at last upgrade.
Have had my DAC Magic now for several yrs.
Wanted to improve sound from a Panasonic 100 CD carosel. I know I know maybe not the best but its what I
had and still use thanke to the DM.
I was imediately pleasantly surprised how much improvement the DM provided.
All aspects of SQ that we desire came thru by at least an order of magnitude.
Openness, vocal clarity and separation, much better detail , and on and on.
It brought my CD player up the the quality sound level of my other equipment, spkrs, amps/preamps, all tubes.
I run with digi input with analog out at min phase.
Now I am no DAC guru but do understand all the technical details and was impressed.
What got my juices flowing was the DUAL DACs, 1 per channel, over most other DACs which use single DACs.
I don't know anything about the other DACs available except their higher price compared to the DM.
They may perform better but I doubt not much better.
And the price was rite where I wanted to be.
So I highly recommend the DAC Magic to anyone seeking improvement to theri CD players sound quality.
You will NOT be disapointed.

Last edited:
Wow, nothing for over 2 years. Am I missing another thread somewhere? Have the Cambridge Azure 851N & love it but need a smaller DAC for more portable bluetooth use. Any updates here on the Dac Magic Plus?

But the Dac Magic doesn’t have the USB for Bluetooth. The Plus does. Just wondering if there’s any input on the Plus version. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom