Cambridge CXC CD Transport price reduction

Multimode

Any UK-based AKer thinking about getting a Cambridge CXC may like to know that Richer Sounds have reverted their selling price to £300, down from the £350 they'd been asking since earlier this year.

Mine's being delivered to me tomorrow! :)

The CXC arrived this afternoon and I connected it to my CXN network player via the optical cable that needed to be bought separately. The CXN is connected to my Sansui AU-919 amplifier via analogue of course.

During the connection process, I emailed Cambridge with a question as to any benefit from connecting the CXC and CXN together with the supplied Control Bus cable, preferring to ask them rather than experiment myself. I received a very pleasant reply just nine minutes later, telling me that the Control Bus would sync the power of the two Cambridge units but no more. I connected the Control Bus and found the CXC turning off with the CXN to be a nice extra touch, however the impressive remote control does the same job and I guess this applies with or without the Control Bus connected.

I haven't carried out any formalised back-to-back testing against my old NAD 5420 player but there's a distinct and worthwhile improvement in sound quality and detail (without any 'breaking in'!). I'd been sceptical as to the differences said to exist between CD players, but I'm now a convert! :)

More news as it happens... ;)

I've had my Cambridge CX-C CD transport for year or so. It replaced my very nice Denon 1500II CD player I was using as a transport after it malfunctioned. I also use my Denon 1920 SACD/DVD player as a second CD transport.

I did some A/B comparisons between My new CX-C and the Denon DVD player as a transport. Both feeding the DAC module in my Bryson amp. There didn't seem to be much difference right off. Before I bought the CX-C I auditioned an old Rotel CD transport. Although it seemed to be better build quality then the Cambridge, again in simple A/B tests with the Denon 1500II CD player or the DVD player as transports, I noticed little difference.

I used the Rotel transport for a week or so anyway before buying the Cambridge, and I noticed an improvement in the micro-dynamics of music more than before. Like hearing each note in a chord of the guitar, or the cymbals so clear it is like they were in my house. I got the same effect when I started using the Cambridge CX-C transport. It seems if you want that last 10% improvement in SQ, A high quality CD transport helps. A subtle improvement, But worth the price for me.

By Far the biggest improvement in SQ from my CD's came when I compared the well regarded Denon 1500II CD player's on board DAC with the DAC module in my Bryston Integrated amp. On some CD's the difference was like night and day. Soundstage, Imagining, and micro-dynamics improved dramatically though the Bryston. While other CD's showed a lesser improvement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom