Cambridge Dacmagic Plus

grafxdesin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am looking into this DAC for my system and wanted to get some opinions on if it would improve my current set-up. I am looking to use this with my CD player ONKYO C-7030 and my Sony Dat Deck DTC 790. Would putting this DAC between these two and my tube pre-amp make any sonic improvements? I know this is an opinion question so I am looking for opinions as I am always looking to improve my set-up. If not this DAC can you suggest another one? It needs to have two digital inputs.
Cheers

Most modern DAC's can do optical and Coax. For a no-nonsense neutral sound try a Topping D30. I like mine a lot.

Eric

This is what I am looking to do, optical in and analog out. I will look into the topping D30. Do you think this is a better option than the Cambridge?

This is what I am looking to do, optical in and analog out. I will look into the topping D30. Do you think this is a better option than the Cambridge?

Hard to say, looks like the Onkyo sports a Wolfson WM8718 DAC chip, I suspect you'll need to step up from the D30 to beat it. For that matter the Dacmagic Plus is based on the Wolfson WM8740 chip which is a step up from 8718 but may retain similar sound signature. It is not all about DAC chips, but it is one parameter to base your decision on.

I've owned both devices. The dac Magic is nice but I did not hear much of a difference between it and my c-7030. I would not bother unless you plan to use it as a preamp and skip the tube one.

I have a DacMagic (not the "+" version) and it only offered a slight improvement over the crap Pioneer DV45A I owned. (Getting my Oppo 105 made a huge difference in comparison.) Having said that, I use the DacMagic now for my computer system. JRiver has to downsample some of the high-res since this one is stuck at a maximum of 96kHz and does not decode DSD (it's older). But it works well on the desktop. I use the optical S/PDIF connection from the computer to keep the electronics completely decoupled from each other (no noise, no ground loops, etc.). It's a good little unit, but it's no giant killer.

I have an Onkyo C 7030, Fisher X-1000 integrated. tube amp, Martin Logan Clarity speakers fitted w 12lb, 8" French designed woofers w 4in voice coils.(the large VC allows great bass grip for tube amp).
I was pretty impressed with the installation of the Onkyo deck. Resolution was very good with my system, as I refurbed my Fisher at a broadcast museum, a couple years back.
I bought a nice used Mytek Stereo 96 Dac recently.
Instruments are more defined...in their own space. More precise presentation and clarity. If I shut off the Mytek now, it takes the life out of the music. I consider the Mytek a musical instrument. Much more analog.
Forgot to say to say has multiple inputs.

Back
Top Bottom