Can a laptop damage cd’s?

Davie81

Trying to figure out if my laptop has damaged a few cds or if my cd deck is on the way out. Put the new Maiden album into the laptop to put onto my iTunes along with a couple of other albums. Since then my cd deck is sticking and freezing. There’s no scratches/cracks etc to the discs but could a laptop have caused damage which can’t be seen? The cd decks under warranty but don’t want to waste a trip. Tried a cd earlier which hasn’t been in the laptop and it didn’t skip but it could all be a coincidence.

Basically yeah! Lol. Could the laptop have caused any damage? Weird how a cd which hasn’t been in it worked ok.

If it was a CD-RW (rewritable CD), then you could conceivably erase it on a laptop equipped with a CD writer, but that's very unlikely to happen by accident.

Otherwise, no, there's nothing the laptop could do to damage a CD. Sounds like a problem with your CD deck. When they get flaky, they sometimes work with some CDs and not others.

Laptops can cause damage, they have extremely tight tolerances for the clearance and I have seen discs get concentric ring scratches from bad laptop drives. Even a fine concentric graze in the TOC area can kill the disc.

It is more likely the new 'maiden' disc might have a TOC that your CD deck doesn't like- kind of corrupted to prevent copying.

Laptops can cause damage, they have extremely tight tolerances for the clearance and I have seen discs get concentric ring scratches from bad laptop drives. Even a fine concentric graze in the TOC area can kill the disc.

It is more likely the new 'maiden' disc might have a TOC that your CD deck doesn't like- kind of corrupted to prevent copying.

Disc works OK in the laptop AFTER it's "damaged" per the OP.

Disc works OK in the laptop AFTER it's "damaged" per the OP.

It's possible. Read my post and his.

A fine concentric score can do this- one machine will resolve the TOC contents, often due to a higher power output laser (often the case in laptops drives- way over .3mW on read), the other machine won't.

Unlikely, but quite possible.

Also, laptop drive spring ball clamps can damage the centre hole. I've seen it all.

I've had CD's that won't rip properly in our "Media" machine's Blu-Ray drive, but they rip just fine in my spare laptop's drive and play in all my Decks. In many years of using Laptop CD / DVD drives I've learned to take it slow and give the mounted disk a good look over before closing the drive. Laptop drives are hard to get the disk into properly and aren't robust because of the need for them to be compact & lightweight. No to mention the really close tolerances. I've seen disks damaged by Laptop drives, but it is normally something obvious in the way of scratches or cracks. The OP seems like someone who would not "jam" a CD in the Laptop so I kind of want to point a finger at the CD Deck.

Mark Gosdin

Back
Top Bottom