Can an amateur refurb and update a KA-7100?

@hopjohn what are the bypass caps? Currently I've replaced caps with like options from Nichicon mainly.

I already have the trimmers so good there.

It's become common practice among many restorers here to put something like a 1uf to 2.2uf 250v non-inductive polyester film bypass caps across the main filter capacitors. Like this

Due to the way large electrolytic caps are built they rise in impedance with rising frequency. The film caps keep impedance low even at high frequencies. The larger the electrolytic, the larger an impact the bypass caps will have.

OOps. Yep, those are 28V 1W zeners so you'll need two 14V .500ma for each in series.

If I tried to run the amp with only one of them in the De3, De4, De17 and De18 spots (14V 0.5W) with a DBT in series could it cause any issues for the amp? Didn't look like the amp powered on, so I think I'm ok, just wanted to make sure it couldn't cause any major issues if it had turned on. FYI the relay didn't clink, however I will replace the diodes with 2 before I fire it up again.

Also to be clear, I need to join these diodes together (series) to make them sum 28V 1W?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/m4XxUi8nqbg/maxresdefault.jpg

Also can you help recommend a decent filter cap for the Nichicon KW 6800uF/50v power caps I've got? Might as well add them to the order to spread out the shipping cost.

The KSD1616A isn't ideal, but I'd not place a special order to get something different. I generally use out-of-production Zetex ZTX1056A's for relay drivers, but otherwise I'll use the KSC2690AY if a NPN is called for.
OOps. Yep, those are 28V 1W zeners so you'll need two 14V .500ma for each in series. Diodes are super cheap so I'd buy extra.
Stacking zeners also stacks the tolerance. You're better off (in this instance) simply using a 27V 1W zener (much of electronics is a matter of 'close enuff').

That's good to know EW. Are diodes generally built to a standard eg I don't need audio grade?

If so would this 27v 1w option from a local electronics store work? Would certainly keep the recap on track vs having to shelve the recap for a better alternative.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/27v-1n4750-1-watt-zener-diode/p/ZR1427

I might also ask about the transistor to see if they have the sturdier option, otherwise I might leave it as is for the moment.

Are diodes generally built to a standard eg I don't need audio grade?

No, diodes don't have an 'audio grade' however in the case of zeners they do come in different percentage tolerances, usually 5% (common) and 2%, (not so common). If I replace a zener in a sensitive part of a circuit I will generally use a 2%, often described as a 'precision zener', everything else gets a 5%.

I hope this helps.

@Hyperion thanks! I'll grab some at Jaycar tomorrow to get the amp built and tested. Then I will order some more parts from Mouser to replace them afterwards with better spec items.

<<<<Also to be clear, I need to join these diodes together (series) to make them sum 28V 1W?>>>>>

Yes, you solder the zeners in series. There are some photos here, the ones at the top are dead links but scroll further down: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/soldering-diodes-in-series.489336/

However, if EW recommends a 27v zener then that's what you should use. Also, that's good to know about the Qe34 sub, I'll update my list. Having something more robust there for the long run makes a lot of sense.

Speaker relay may be not getting enough current due to a weak relay driver transistor (Qe34). The relay itself may have some worn contacts as well.

I'd replace both the relay and the driver transistor, as well as a few of the surrounding capacitors (Ce39, Ce40, Ce41).

The relay is a common Omron MY4-02-DC24. Ce39 is a bipolar cap. Any number of transistors will work for the driver, but I'd probably use a 2SC3902T (Mouser).

I'll stand by EW's 2015 recommendation for Qe34. He can argue with his own recommendation if he wants to. :)

They look pretty similar, but the 2SC3902T is a little more robust, if that's the right word. Geez I've used "robust" 2x in one day. Sounds like we're talking about coffee beans. Anyway there are lots of ways to skin this cat.

What is the broken piece or pieces in post #16?
The post says it's a cap? With a ginormous lead like that?
What the heck is that?
Joe

Ok. Latest plan of attack.

1. Buy some 27v 1w diodes from Jaycar today to get the amp back up and running (hopefully)
2. Place a mouser order for the "robust" Qe34 replacement along with some higher quality diodes

The only thing I don't like about the 2SC3902T is that the leads are thicker than 'standard' and can mean opening up the PC board holes to get it fitted. And the leads are tough bastards and are like bending rebar. It would work fine, however, and I've used them from time to time. But if I had something else on-hand that would do the job, I'd not place a special order to get a replacement.

There's 100's of viable candidates for a relay driver. It's not a terribly critical selection.

What specs should I be searching EW? If I can avoid a specific order from Mouser that would have me $28.

Other than searching for that part number I'm not sure what I would need.

There were some on the auction site but I wasn't sure if that might be a cheaper version or something down spec.

Good news!

It turns out my DBT wasn't working because I had misplaced a wire in the bulb holder. Probably a good thing given I had the wrong diodes in the power board.

Picked up some 27v 1W diodes from Jaycar, wired them all in. Found a incandescent bulb in the cupboard under the stairs and was ready for a test.

60w bulb went bright, then down to a very faint glow. LED on amp was lit and relay clicked :)

Power board complete. Minus the trimmers which I have purchased some wire for to extend 2 legs. Will do the trimmers once the board is mostly back together.

Quick one. Should I be testing the amp with music between boards or is a DBT OK to proceed with the next board?

I'm replacing the Ci25, Ci26 caps:

Board suggests they are polarised but I cannot work out which leg is which on these WIMA caps:

Checked the specs sheet but couldn't find anything.

Back
Top Bottom