Can an Emit-R be disassembled non-destructively?

jazzmans

I've got an Emit-R I pulled from a pair of Crescendo 3007 when the magic smoke 'emitted' from the tweeter upon application of a signal to test the speakers out in a shop, low power.

I bought them because I needed the woofers to replace the four with torn foam and torn spiders in a pair I've had a while, but have been sitting on due to the foam (I didn't discover the spider issue until bringing them into said shop for refoam)

Just tested the Emit-R, it's by far the ugliest Emit-R I've ever seen, bubbled and Uuugly mylar/aluminum traces, but it still reads 3.2 ohms. I'd like to disassemble it and look at the membrane, but the plastic faceplate(has the spade connectors) doesn't want to pull off, or even away enough to see how to disconnect the connecters from the mylar. So, before I do something dumb, like FORCE the faceplate off, I figured I'd ask. We have the deepest knowledge about Infinity speakers here that I've seen.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know if it's possible, but I can tell you I ruined a Delta-series EMIT-R by forcing the faceplate off.

Yeah? The thing is I'm really not that worried about destroying it, but would like to know how to fix Emit-R's if it is possible, but I'm leaning towards the 'it ain't possible'.

once I get a few more replies, I'll probably slowly force the two apart, I think it's adhered together, doesn't feel like magnetic force. I'll make a jig to hold the faceplate down and pry the two apart, but expect it will either tear the membrane or break the tinsel leads, or both.

If ever there was a reasonable sacrificial Emit-R, this one is it. photos can't capture how damaged this one is, especially vs the other 12 Emit-R's I have in various other last generation Infinity speakers I have.(damn, that's a lot)

On another note, I might have a line on a pair of QLS 1...

I tried once but no luck, that faceplate has to be set with some sort of bonding cement. If you get it apart I'd like to see what's behind it. Compared to other tweeters I have laying around the emit-r has one hell of a magnetic draw to it.

I never had one apart but the diaphragm has a part number. 751-6022. I thought I saw a pic of just the diaphragm but can’t find it now on the web. Thought it was from the speaker exchange website. Here’s an exploded view.
5C6558AD-AC88-4306-98B4-5A26F0AD53DD.jpeg

It might be worth using a heat gun on it before trying to pry it apart. If it’s held together with adhesive that might soften it.

I've found that EMIT's in general don't like pure sine wave test tones, burned up a few myself. Your'e better off using pink noise to test.

Back
Top Bottom