Can anyone help with a Technics SU-8080?

Stevescivic

Hello Pioneer lovers!

This is not necessarily a Pioneer question but hoping the folks that I normally converse with here can help with a different brand of amplifier.

Today I managed to score a Technics SU-8080 from a local eBay auction and much to my surprise it is in really good condition.

I haven't fired it up yet but it looks 100% original and short of a few scuffs and the typical dust on the inside that the unit looks to be 100% original.

A few issues I'll need to address:

1. One of the positive terminal posts on the "remote" speaker out is broken. The red plastic likely was banged up against something and I'm not sure if the red knob itself can be replaced or if I need to buy a complete speaker terminal assembly.

2. The power switch lever was bent when I bought it so I straightened it with some pliers but it doesn't "flip" or feel the same as the two levers in the middle of the receiver. I suspect that it is damaged and will require replacement.

3. The ground terminal on the back of the unit is bent. I may be lucky if I can bend it back straight but I"m not holding my breath and will likely need a replacement.

Wondering how good is this receiver and whether or not it is worth recapping/rebuilding. I've rebuilt 2 SX-1050's and both turned out perfectly and the SU-8080 looks pretty easy as well BUT... I'm wondering if someone here has a BOM for the part and whether or not this amplifier has any unobtanium parts that I need to be aware of. Caps are easy to identify and replace but I'm wondering about certain transistors, diodes, resistors and relays that should proactively replaced.

I'm really impressed with the layout of this thing... it appears to be of very good quality and well thought out.

I think Zebulon has some experience with this unit but hoping that there are some Technic experts here that can provide me with some guidance.

A million thanks,

Posted in the Pioneer section because this is where I hang out the most and am familiar with some of the experienced folks here.

(receiver ?)
It isn't a receiver it is a very nice Integrated Amplifier - there have been threads/posts about this model. There was one posted up here that was beautifully reconditioned by someone from the Netherlands IIRC.

I think 'Solid State' would be the best place for this thread. ;)

I know your reasoning, because I too, know a few of the guys who have the knowledge I seek hang out here on this forum. The other forums can be hit and miss.
I've repaired Technics amps and receivers but not this particular integrated model. You can PM me if you need any technical help getting it operating. Or let me know if you end up moving it to another forum.
I'll be glad to help out if I can.

@ Hyperion - yes I realized that I had posted receiver when in reality I should have posted integrated amplifier.

@ Zebulon1 - thanks for offering up the assistance. I may end up moving this to the solid state forum shortly but I did actually reach out to the fellow that did the restoration in the Netherlands via PM but no response yet. I'm just curious if this amplifier has any unobtanium parts in it that would render this unit difficult to repair should something go wrong. My plans were to simply recap the unit (I'm competent at doing that) but I wanted to know if there is such a thing as a "top ten list" of parts that should be replaced in this amp to ensure it lives a long and awesome life.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom