Can anyone ID is tube amp?

For Posterity:

Unknown make stereo tube amplifier in good working condition - $150 (Midlothian)
00i0i_3x90wA9Nbkc_600x450.jpg

00808_hZHm2wtdJZY_600x450.jpg

01414_JVXRT0cUTJ_600x450.jpg

Unknown make stereo tube amplifier in good working condition

Tested and working

Where else can you get a working tube amp for this price?

My initial interwebbing has me leaning towards it being a Burstein-Applebee branded unit, which, upon further interwebbing, suggest that said brand was the house brand of a chain store, and often ended up being re-branded units.

Then some more interewebbing turned up this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lincoln-l24-integrated-tube-amplifier.805861/

The resemblance is uncanny.

Which led to one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lincoln-L-...559906?hash=item3fb095ff62:g:o20AAOSwRytb4LDO

Yup...that's a Barnaby-Applestein amp. Remember it from the B-A catalogs of my youth...which ranked right up there with the Sears Christmas catalog as far as droolworthy.:) Odds are it's rebranded by B-A by some Japanese manufacturer.

Missing a can cap (see the picture looking down from the front), funky looking wiring from the output trannies to the speaker terminals, tubes tilted in their sockets. I wonder what they mean by "tested and working"?

Missing a can cap (see the picture looking down from the front), funky looking wiring from the output trannies to the speaker terminals, tubes tilted in their sockets. I wonder what they mean by "tested and working"?
Since this seems to be built for the company selling it, I assumed that it was a dummed down version of something else with smaller iron and perhaps less glass. I'm not at all sure that there ever was anything in that spot but it was cut that way for a different model. Just a WAG, but that's what I thought.

Well, the tag was freshly removed as seen by the dust free rectangular area. Makes me wonder why? Keep an air of mystery to obtain a higher price?

Those output tubes at least seem like Mullards "made in great Britain". Yeah, as for those empty slots for caps and tubes, I've also seen other "store" brands with such chassis. Could be an easy project for someone if the seller takes $100 I guess.

Interesting that it has a tape out but no tape in. I guess they expected you to make a recording but then never listen to it.

I have (or had) that amp, or one that looks very similar. It's in storage so can't really take a look, but IIRC mine had a Lafayette nameplate.

Back
Top Bottom