Can Anyone ID these Pioneer Speakers?

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by neobium, Oct 11, 2017.

1. neobium

neobium Member

I came across this pair of vintage Pioneer speakers for $50. Can anyone ID these?

Do they sound good, or are they just interesting from a collector/nostalgia perspective?

Attached Files:

2. redk9258

redk9258 Super Member

Home / custom made from a pair of Pioneer speakers?

3. cwh

cwh AK Subscriber Subscriber

Perfect for that mid century pad, with cats. Pics of the drivers?

4. BOUXY

BOUXY Super Member

"Do they sound good" You ask
    What do you think as really only your ears can tell you:)

5. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

If the picture is an accurate representation, they appear to be Karlson type speaker cabinets. The speaker load can be anything the owner decided to use. These were not uncommon DIY type speaker cabinets.

upload_2017-10-12_15-42-21.png

6. neobium

neobium Member

Thanks, all. My "Do they sound good?" question was based on the idea these were from the factory. Speaker designs vary in meaningful ways, hence benchmarking and gear reviews. BUT - since these are likely DIY cabinets someone threw drivers into, by modern speaker design standards, they are not likely to sound very good, since they most likely don't take any of the important design factors into consideration. They could be fun as a retro hipster conversation piece, though.

7. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

You never know. If the builder used a specific driver load or combination of drivers that had a recommended cabinet volume or dimensions that he followed, they could sound quite good, even if some tweaking is required. Even if the cabs aren't optimized for the drivers, there could be some decent drivers in there that could be sold/repurposed.

I'd agree it's more likely that the builder didn't optimize these things, but you never know what's in there until you get in there.

8. cwh

cwh AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd consider "DIY" to mean scraps of particle board pieced together with drywall screws, fitted with a no name 15" woofer and a harsh horn.

These appear to be furniture grade cabs and could very well be fitted with something nice. Old drivers configured right can give you pause. Check out Bozak speakers. If you look for Drbiggles here as he does amazing things with the old, Bozak especially.