Can anyone ID these Yamaha Ear Speakers?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by SteveAndBell, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SteveAndBell

SteveAndBell 1.21 Gigawatts

Hi all.

Just collected these:
    Yamaha Ear Speaker_1.jpg Yamaha Ear Speaker_2.jpg

They're obviously Yamaha as they have a 'Yamaha' badge on the grille cloth and Yamaha were the only manufacturer making those woofers way back when. I didn't have much time to look at them as I had to chuck them in storage but will hopefully have a closer look over the coming days but there wasn't any obvious model numbers on the rear panel. They look similar to the vintage NS-20 & NS-30 however they are 'portrait' layout whereby these are 'landscape' so are wider than they are tall. Dimensions are 915W x 750H x 350D (36"W x 30"H x 14"D)

Either way they're definitely interesting beasts. BIG and heavy with a solid timber carcass but a particle board rear baffle that will need replacing as it's gone crumbly. They have wear & tear but with a bit of TLC they should come up a treat! I'll report back here once I've tested them and had a closer look.

In the meantime, if anyone can ID this particular model then please chime in. Thanks!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I've never seen that style of "natural sound" Yamaha speakers. Possibly a prototype?

3. SteveAndBell

OK so I'm listening to them as I type and I've gotta say they're pretty impressive! Just running a cheapie digital SMSL AD18 Amp BT'd to my phone as a music source as it's all I could easily transport to the storage facility but yeah, with a touch of EQ they sound 'effortless' with amazingly 'present' mids.

Unfortunately I've just discovered the Tweeters have been replaced with cheap modern plastic piezo horns but now that I've done a bit of research they probably aren't too far from the originals which look to have been the JA-0506Bs. The 'Ear' Woofer is the JA-5002 and the large mid-bass driver is the JA-3053 which all work perfectly so that's good at least.

So using the model of the drivers as reference it seems these are very close to the NS-330 and NS-370 however their driver & baffle layout is a little different. They seem to be highly efficient so should be great for driving with my 2A3 SE Amp... but I've got a long road ahead of me before I can play around with my collected gear, I have to build my big shed/workshop and fit it out first and that's at least a year away yet :( Hmm, these are very big too so I may have to sell them on before I get to truly enjoy them. We'll see.

I'll post pics when I get back home on a better connection...

4. SteveAndBell

5. SteveAndBell

... and for anyone interested, here are the rest of the pics:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      41 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
    OMGCat! likes this.
  6. rode2rouen

rode2rouen Active Member

A set of those speakers recently showed up on the local CraigsList.
    The seller called them "elephant ear" speakers.
    While I was Googling to find out more info the ad was removed by the seller.

Rex

Please register to disable this ad.